Where in Granada?

Search

Where in Granada?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2009, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in Granada?

We were wondering which area of Granada is the best to stay. We want to be central, but when we look at a map of all the hotels in Granada, we are confused at to where the center of town, or best area, is

Thank you so much.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
yk

There are 3 main areas- all 3 are pretty close to one another. Think of Granada as a V - the Alhambra and the Albaicin are both located on top of a hill; the river valley in the middle is where the town is.

One area is the center of town, near the Cathedral and/or Plaza Nueva. You have good access to restaurants.

One is in/near the Alhambra. There are only a handful of hotels there. The plus is you're within walking distance to the Alhambra. The downside is you need to head down to town for meals.

The last area is the Albaicin. This is on a hill across the river from the Alhambra. Again, to get there you'll be hiking up steep hills or take the minibus.

There is no "best" area - it all depends on what you want.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much.

However, since we are with our two children, is there a "safer" area to stay in, as I have read recently that some areas are more unsafe than others.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:45 PM

As you look at the map of Granada, first find the Alhambra. It sits atop a V-shaped hill. If you consider the "V" to be an arrow, follow the point of that arrow forward and this is the safer area and nice too. The farther you go from the "V"'s point the safer it is - but the farther away from everything you get, too. That's not to say everything in front of and to the side of the "V" is UNsafe, not at all, but wherever you have the highest concentration of tourists is usually where you have the most problems (albeit at only 1% chance or less).

The area around the Cathedral, Plaza Bib-Rambla, and along the "Calle Reyes Catolicos" is pretty darn safe and also nice. Along the "Acera del Darro" is pretty nice, busy, modern, with shopping areas abound but just a bit further away to the old center. But all of Granada is all pretty safe but they, as well as all cities, have problems with pick-pockets and purse-liftings as well as the occasional "gimme your purse" in the Albaicin. I probably wouldn't recommend the Albaicin area because it's rather dark and almost too-quiet at night except for the occasional barking dog. Plus, your kids could get lost with all the twisting-turning pedestrian streets.

Enjoy Granada! We know you will.

Saludos, GrandaMan @ you-know-where!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:08 AM

When I visited Granada I stayed at the Hotel Reina Cristina on Calle Tablas #4. This hotel is near the Plaza de la Trinidad Park and the Cathedral. I only spent a couple of nights there but I found the area to be safe and can recommend the hotel. Perhaps, MadrirMan can offer additional information about this particular area.

I also think that neither the Alhambra or the Albacin areas are good places to stay in Granada since they both are a ways from the center of town. I'd stay near the Cathedral.

--gatorbill
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:35 AM

I definitely recommend http://www.hoteljuanmiguel.com/

It was very close to everything, a 1 minute walk to the post office, 10 minute walk to all the shopping, etc.
It's also right next to a stop for the hop on/hop off tour bus that runs through the city.

Also, the staff is friendly. It's a modest hotel, but clean and comfortable.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
pdx

This hotel and location was great for us last month.
http://www.hotelpresidentegranada.es/
Around the corner and half a block from the airport shuttle bus drop-off.
The breakfast was kind of useless, a couple options of bread products, canned juice and coffee, but the hotel was nice, the staff were pleasant and the location very convenient. I think it was $90USD, less on Sunday.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM

I suggest you go to tripadvisor.com and take a look at their Granada hotel ratings. It'll give you a good idea of what hotels you should go for.