Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lucca-Siena Hotels--Need Advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lucca-siena-hotels-need-advice-89023/)

Judy Oct 5th, 2000 11:13 PM

Lucca-Siena Hotels--Need Advice

We will be in Rome a week, then take the train to Florence, then pick up a car and may stay at the Relais Borgo San Felice, near Sienna, for 3 days. The, we want to spend another three days either in Lucca itself or near Lucca for 3 days before heading northeast to Venice. In those 6 days where would you go? In and around Lucca, where would you stay? Is Lucca good as a base (i.e.,assuming the hotel in Lucca has parking, is it easy enough to drive in and out of Lucca that we will be enthusiastic about making trips out of Lucca to sightsee or dine?) <BR>Thanks.

Howard Oct 6th, 2000 03:51 AM

Hello Judy <BR> <BR>I travelled to Lucca with a car a couple of years ago. We stayed at the Hotel Puccini, a very nice moderately priced hotel right int he center of things in town. There was a large outdoor parking lot just a block away where we could park our car. Because we stayed at the hotel, there was a discount at the lot, and the price was only a couple of dollars per day. I would think that some of the other nearby hotels have the same arrangement. <BR> <BR>The lot was only about 2 blocks or so beyond one of the entrances thru the city wall, so going in and out of the city was not a problem.

Paulo Oct 6th, 2000 04:33 AM

The Borgo San Felice is an outstanding property ... you'd like it for sure. If you're staying for 3 nights, I would use one full day visiting Siena and another one touring the area south of Siena (Montepulciano, Pienza, Monte Olivetto, Montalcino, etc). When transferring from Castelnuovo Berardenga to Lucca, I would tour the Chianti district (Castello di Brolio, Gaiole in Chianti, Radda in Chianti, Castellina in Chianti), visit San. Gimignano and plan to arrive in Lucca in the evening. <BR> <BR>IMO you should plan to leave Lucca early after the 3rd night ... this would give you 2 full days in the area. One should be reserved for Lucca itself and Pisa. For the other there would be a couple of possibilities ... One could plan a visit to the sea shore (Forte dei Marmi, Carrara, Cinque Terre, etc.) or drive east instead (Montecatini Terme, Prato and Pistoia). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Karen Oct 6th, 2000 05:27 PM

We spent a night in Lucca at the Hotel Luna. Our room was fabulous - ask for the suite with the painted ceiling. We had the worst trouble finding the hotel, and should have asked for directions before we came. It did have parking, and found it easy to get in and out of the town.

Judy Oct 8th, 2000 01:39 AM

Kind People: <BR> Thank you for the information about Hotels Puccini and Luna. I'm really glad to know that Lucca is easy to get in and out of . Someone recommended staying at the Villa Principessa, which is 2 k. from Lucca. <BR>Do you know anything about it? Paulo, it's 2;30 am and you have given me such a treasure of information that I need to sit in front of my screen tomorrow with a map and a clear head in order to take it all in. I'm glad to have your opinion re San Felice and now I really hope they can confirm our reservation. <BR>Would it be OK if I emailed you with further questions? <BR>Thanks again. <BR>Judy <BR> <BR>

will Oct 8th, 2000 03:16 AM

when we were in ialy we stayed at montacacci therme i would reccomend this far ahead of lucca which i felt was basic. if you are there yopu are near florence on the train and its is very cheap.bewear of the ticket stamping.

Judy Oct 8th, 2000 09:44 AM

Dear Will, <BR>Do you mean the spa? <BR>Judy

kal Oct 12th, 2000 02:54 PM

Judy, We just returned from Italy 10-5. We stayed 4 days in Lucca at the <BR>San Marco. It was the nicest hotel we stayed at during our 18 day trip! Very modern, art deco style hotel...Great lobbie. Excellent service. Almost all of the desk and food service people spoke better English than we did Italian. <BR> <BR>Rooms were spacious, modern (light switch, radion controls built into the head board of the dbl bed) excellent bathroom and finally a shower stall I could fit my 6'4", 265# frame in comfortably...excellent water pressure too. About $110/night US! Incl. a great b'fast. <BR> <BR>It about 2-3 blocks outside the wall so you don't have to get lost in the maze of streets. It is a great city little city. My father in law was born there so he gave us a tour. <BR> <BR>We'd stay there again in a heartbeat. <BR> <BR>We took all the back roads to Pisa and made it there in about 30 mins. We also were close to Torre del Lago Puccini and Viareggio. <BR> <BR>Real nice area.

Dona Oct 12th, 2000 03:12 PM

Judy, <BR> <BR>I have tried many times to get into Borgo San Felice and have not been able to. Did get there for lunch last year and it's lovely. I hope you get in. <BR> <BR>Villa Principessa looks great too - and they have a new "annex", Principessa Elisa, that is not as grand but has about 10 luxury suites. An advantage, and disadvantage, are that it is not in the town of Lucca - which makes travel easier. <BR> <BR>If you need additional info, let me know... <BR> <BR>Dona