Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lucca, La Romea B & B, Anyone? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lucca-la-romea-b-and-b-anyone-801244/)

bramsole Aug 15th, 2009 11:03 AM

Lucca, La Romea B & B, Anyone?

Good Afternoon, I am considering booking a room at this B&B. in October. Has anyone stayed here or does anybody have another suggestion for the town of Lucca? We are in the $200.00 range.

One more question. I can see where parking could be an issue. I have found the car parks on mappy and have printed them off. As far as car parking goes, I know it probably would be easier to stay outside the city, but I am thinking of accessability to restaurants, shops, etc. We will only be there a couple of nights.

Thanks, B.

bobthenavigator Aug 15th, 2009 11:14 AM

I can suggest 2 places in Lucca. The Palazzo Alexander may be a bit more upscale, but is very nice. We stayed one time at Villa Romantica just barely outside the walls---a :15 walk into the city. You will like Lucca.

cruiseluv Aug 15th, 2009 11:17 AM

Hi,

I stayed in La Romea for 2 weeks 3 years ago. I loved my room, the ivory room. I strongly suggest that you look at the rooms in their website so you know which one you prefer. My friend had the green room and it was pretty small, I didn't like it.

This summer we went back to Lucca for 3 days. We were traveling with friends and decided to stay at a full service hotel, the San Luca Palace. We loved it! Good size rooms and modern bathrooms with a great , big shower. Breakfast was fantastic. Location with somebody with a car is better than la Romea. It is located in Via San Paolino, which is just inside the walls and near one of the entry gates. They offer private parking for 15 euros a day, which we didn't need as we didn't have a car.

Location wise , either La Romea or San Luca Palace are great. Lucca is a lovely city with many good restaurants and shopping available.

I would strongly suggest you stay within the walls.

bramsole Aug 15th, 2009 11:52 AM

Thanks Bob,
I have had the Palazzo Alexander on my short list. I am happy that staying in the town seems to be the thing to do and will check availability and prices in a minute or so.
Cruiseluv,
I am happy to hear from someone that has stayed at the La Romea. I am hoping I won't be the one to have to park the car and walk if I end up there. It does sound lovely.
San Luca Palace sounds great as well and seems to have a good location and I would love the car park. I have been studying the map of Lucca and staying in the west seems to be the area to stay in as far as being in the thick of things.
The hotels are just a little more than I wanted to pay, well, not me, but the DH.
Thanks once again!

HappyTrvlr Aug 15th, 2009 12:01 PM

We also loved our stay at Palazzo Alexander. They had a private parking nearby but I don't remember if there was an extra charge for it.

bramsole Aug 15th, 2009 12:21 PM

HappyTrvlr:
Thanks you for the thumbs up for Palazzo Alexander.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of information about Lucca on Fodor's. I have been reading online as much as possible. But then, I have never been there either. Maybe a little out of the way for the masses.

cruiseluv Aug 15th, 2009 12:47 PM

Check also in slowtrav.com.

There is plenty to do in Lucca for a couple of days. It is also very close to Pisa, if you care to visit.

zoecat Aug 15th, 2009 01:41 PM

I haved stayed at La Romea. My room and bathroom were large and very nice. Breakfast was great and the hosts are very warm, welcoming and helpful. I loved the location, but I did not have a car. Perhaps La Romea can give you the best advice on parking nearby.

Enjoy your trip!

bramsole Aug 15th, 2009 03:34 PM

Thanks guys!