Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lucca hotel or B&B - Albergo San Martino, Il Seminario, somewhere else?

Oct 5th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

We'll be spending 2 nights in Lucca next July and will have 2 teenagers with us. After researching, I'm pretty sure we would prefer to stay within the walls and should 'probably' be within walking distance of the train station since we may not pick up our car until the end of our time in Lucca. I've been looking at Albergo San Martino and Il Seminario and they both look nice. Any pros or cons for them? (I'm also been tempted by the San Luca Palace, but that's farther away from the station, more expensive, and know I should consider the lower budget first). I'd also consider other options if anyone has another favorite preferably under/around 200E for the 4 of us.

If we don't have a car while in Lucca, which transportation would be better to Pisa... the train or bus???

Thanks for the info!
Oct 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM

Hi,

We stayed July of last year at the San Luca Palace and loved it. Our room was huge, had a king size bed , plus an extra bed. There was more than enough space for another bed/ cot to be wheeled in. It was not inexpensive, we paid around 180 euros, with breakfast and taxes included.

The train station is not that far, about 15-20 mins walking. We took the express bus to Pisa, less than 30 mins. The bus station in Lucca is around the corner from this hotel.
Oct 5th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

thanks cruiseluv - were you in the 'large junior suite' and did it have any sort of view? Do you remember what room number/name it was? I was quoted 250E for a suite with the king and 2 single beds, quite a bit above the other 2 places, which is why I'm hesitating. Did you post pictures anywhere?

Did the bus take you right to the tower in Pisa?
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:23 PM

The Universo is inside the walls, right on Pza. Giglio - an excellent location if you want to be right in the thick of things, especially with teenagers. About a 10-minute walk from the train station. I stayed there in 2009, and was very impressed with the hotel. My room was large, bright and sunny, and overlooked the piazza (although in summer, one wouldn’t be able to see much through the huge tree in front of the window). The bathroom was large, and the toiletries are locally made soaps, etc. Breakfast could use some improvement, as noted in current TA reviews. You do need to request cappucino if you don’t want to partake of the urn of American-style coffee. I would definitely stay there again.

http://www.universolucca.com
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:24 PM

kwren,
Have you looked at the Universo?
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:47 PM

kwren,

We were traveling with another couple and had booked 2 double rooms. When we checked in we were assigned this room, our friends had a room across the hall from us , but that one was smaller although also very nice. Maybe they upgraded us because they had no more regular rooms left, I don't know. They never said we were given a junior suite. It looked to an inner small courtyard.
Sorry, i don't remember the room number and I don't ahve any pictures. However, if you go their website to the "photo gallery", our room looked a lot like the picture of the 2nd room they show there (red bedcovers).
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Forgot to answer your other question. The bus stopped very close to the tower.
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

I just wrote to the Universo - thanks for pointing it out. The draw here is the room that the American trumpet player stayed in - my son plays trumpet and thinks it would be cool to stay in his room. Someday our vacation won't be all about the kids

Glad to have another possibility - they are all looking good! (so how will I decide?!)
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Wow! That's quite a mixed bag of reviews on Tripadvisor for Hotel Universo!!!
Normally, we don't consider a hotel with these mixed reviews, but I am this time.
I have to say that I am impressed that someone at the hotel took the time to respond nicely and politely to all the comments, whether good or bad. I feel like booking just because of that!

Do any of the bathrooms have shower curtains or doors?
Are the concerts raging outside the hotel on Sunday and Monday nights during the first week of July? I found a couple of schedules which seemed to start a bit later. Noise seemed to be a huge complaint.

But it seems like a cool hotel! Did anyone ask for a renovated room - seems that many have been redone and many not.

Any tips on all this?
Oct 5th, 2010, 08:59 PM

kwren,
The room I had last year was bright and sunnyand was on the side of the hotel, I didn't ask for a renovated room. Just e-mail the hotel with your questions. They will know when concerts are scheduled and you can ask for the type of room you want.
Oct 8th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

We decided...Hotel Universo it is. The trumpet player's room cinched the deal for my son and since he imagines that his idea of a fun vacation is NOT driving around Tuscany for a week (which is exactly what we will be doing, but I'm sure we'll make it fun for him), it's a small price to pay to keep him happy...at least temporarily.

For my husband and me, I requested a bright and airy large room and large bathroom with shower. They are giving us a room on the 2nd floor which overlooks both squares (a corner room) and with a window in the bathroom. We'll see about the size when we get there.

If anyone needs this info for the future, the biggest rooms are at the back of the hotel, don't overlook the square, and seem to be twice the price of the biggest rooms which do overlook the square. I'm thinking they are the modern rooms on the website. You can request a room with shower or tub, but if you get a bathtub, the hotel told me that none of them have a curtain. I've used those before no problem - it IS possible to keep the room dry if one is careful, but by requesting my room with shower, my kids can use our shower if they don't want to deal with the tub in Rm 15. Hope this is helpful for anyone checking out this hotel - it would have helped me.
Oct 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM

kwren,

Did you ask the hotel if there are any concerts going on on Plaza Napoleone while you are there? If so, your room in the front will be subject to very loud noise until late at night.
Oct 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

I did ask and they don't have the schedule yet. I did look at this year's schedule and the concerts for that series didn't start until well into July. We'll be there the 3rd and 4th so maybe we'll be OK. If there are more schedules anyone knows about, I'd be glad to check them out because I was thinking about the noise as well.