Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lucca, Cortona or San Gimig!!HELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lucca-cortona-or-san-gimig-help-474339/)

brenden Sep 15th, 2004 05:21 AM

Lucca, Cortona or San Gimig!!HELP

I have two nights to spend in one of these towns..I have never been to Italy..Which town has more to see to doo, prettier!
Thanks!

mr_go Sep 15th, 2004 06:36 AM

I've stayed in both Cortona and San G. They both have a lot to offer, but if it's your first time in Italy, I'd recommend San G. It's a unique place, and very photogenic.

I've not been to Lucca. Some folks say it's not really special, but my dad (Bob the Navigator) likes it. It's a larger town, so it might have more to do.

Hope this helps.

buongiorno Sep 15th, 2004 07:24 AM

Been to all and nothing against Lucca but I would go for San G first, Cortona second.

Parker Sep 15th, 2004 07:53 AM

I've been to all three and I personally liked Cortona better. Very dramatic setting (side of a mountain) looking out over a vast valley. Views from SG are also beautiful but more rolling hills; town is very nice. For two days, any of the three towns would provide the same amount to do/see, in my opinion. After visiting Cortona, I really wanted to go back and spend more time there.

beelady Sep 15th, 2004 11:54 AM

I stayed 4km outside of SG for a week in May. It is a beautiful town and I loved it very much. I visited Lucca and it was very nice as well. SG doesn't have a night life that I could see but, then again...I loved the views from SG. I have many pictures that I've made into cards from that location. I've heard that Cortona is very nice too. If I had to pick, I'd at least narrow it down to SG and Cortona. You really can't go wrong with whatever town you pick, in my humble opinion.

isabel Sep 15th, 2004 12:14 PM

I've been to all three and agree that you really can't go wrong with any of them. San Gimi was the smallest but also the most striking visually, and also the most touristy. But in the evening it was much less touristy. It's the only one I spent the night in. The other two were also very nice but I only did day trips to them. Even though they were larger, I think they were quieter. I'm not quite sure by what you mean in terms of things to "do". They all have restaurants/cafes, and I don't think any of them had much in the way of swinging night life. They all had a few museums and the main thing I did in all of them was just wander around soaking up the atmosphere.

bobthenavigator Sep 15th, 2004 05:44 PM

With only 2 days, San Gim. is your best choice. Close to Siena and Volterra--two must sees. Cortona is too isloated. Lucca is much larger and not as dramatic.

kate12 Sep 16th, 2004 02:38 AM

My vote is for San Gim. It is in a beautiful setting, it is very charming with lots of little shops and restaurants. I did not find it "touristy", rather full of tourists.(there is a difference) The shops sell crafts and good quality merchandise, rather than cheap trinkets. The buildings are made of a beautiful golden coloured stone and the whole town is very pretty, with interesting architecture and little windy streets.
Cortona is quite isolated. An interesting stop but not nearly as nice as San Gim from my perspective. It has very steep hills and the buildings are quite gray in colour. Fewer shops and restaurants, I believe.

mgfit Sep 16th, 2004 11:05 AM

We just returned a few days ago and on this trip we did take a day trip to Lucca and another to San G. I personally liked San G much better. Lucca did not have as much to offer in my opinion. I have not been to Cortona, so I cannot offer advice on that. If you do go to San G...make sure that you check out the bus schedule if you are going on Saturdays. They significantly reduce the schedule on Saturday making it a bit trickier to get there and back. Have a great time. For lunch, try Beppone - out of the main tourist area. Good food and not too expensive.

cmt Jun 21st, 2005 03:12 PM

I really love Cortona. I love the setting overlooking a valley and the view of the mist rising from the valley in the morning. There's plenty or Etruscan history, and it's very pleasant area for hiking on hilly terrain with good trails. To me, the town has a lot of "character" and is very atmospheric. When I was there in 1997 I was there in October 1997, there weren't too many tourists around, so it seemed that the people of the town were going about their normal routines. In the evening, the place was bustling just before dinnertime, with tpownspeople either taking walks or gathering in a main square to chat. I don't know whether a lot has changed since I was there. Cortona is in Tuscany, was very close to the border of Umbria, so it has qualities of both regions.

Alet Jun 23rd, 2005 01:53 PM

Lucca is a very charming town. Go there, I am sure you'll love it.

Betsy Jun 23rd, 2005 03:48 PM

Been to all three. Here's my ranking: Lucca, San Gim, Cortona.

okoshi2002 Jun 30th, 2005 06:44 PM

We just returned from that area and though we did not go to Lucca or Cortona, we did spend a day day in San Gimi . I thought it was very crowded and the though the architecture of the towers is striking, it was most dramatic from afar.
We stayed just outside the wall of Siena which I loved. Very active town because of university, lots to see , the campo is fabulous. Yes, it got crowed also but more pleasant I thought than San Gimi.

Patrick Jun 30th, 2005 07:13 PM

Been to all three also. My rankings? San G. way out in front, then Cortona, then Lucca.

Traveler863 Jun 30th, 2005 08:09 PM

To me, this thread is old and some how resurrected. I just got back from San Gim area and certainly no complaints though rarely visited the town itself except at night. Nearby are excellent ruins of Castelvecchio just follow the sign for Caggio (1,2km) from main road south of SG, the one that goes by the spiffy new prison.

If you want excellent Etruscan sights its a good area, very close is Volterra.

I've been to both Cortona and Lucca. Lucca is not particularly appealing on the approach, its not really a "hilltown", its walled but not that dramatic hill like both San Gim or Cortona. Cortona of the 3 would be the least touristed if that matters. All are great. Happy travels.