Lubjljana Accomodations and sights

Old Aug 12th, 2017, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lubjljana Accomodations and sights

Hi,

My wife and I will be spending 2 - 3 nights in Lubjljana this fall. Our preference is to stay in a guest house, airbnb, or small hotel. Any suggestions?

What are the "not to miss" sights to visit?

Thank you,
jjtravel

Last edited by Gardyloo; Dec 22nd, 2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 07:06 AM
kja

None of us can say what YOU will want to see or do in Ljubljana, other than just walking around and enjoying its unique architecture and charm. Have you checked a good guidebook, perhaps the Rough Guide?
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 07:35 AM

Jjtravel, will you have a car? Ljubljana is a fairly compact city with big pedestrian-only areas, and it can be a challenge to park a car if you stay somewhere in the pedestrian areas. So if you will have a car (you don't need one for Ljubljana itself), make sure the lodging has parking or a recommendation of where to park nearby.

For reference, the Grand Hotel Union is in a great location (find it on a map). Just south of there is Prešeren Square, kind of the center of town with the triple bridge at one end. Anywhere relatively near there is a good location. You can use the map feature of AirBnB and Booking.com to seek out places by location.

Ljubljana is a lovely, charming walking town with a lively feel - it's a college town, so very social. For me, the highlight of the town is its charm - just walk around, up and down the river. See the cute bridges, the pretty architecture. It's even better at night. Walk up the castle hill for the view (the castle itself is nothing amazing as I recall, but you can walk up to it for free). Consider taking one of the free walking tours.

The town does have museums. I've been to a few (I'm not a museum person), but did find the Jože Plečnik house (the house of the architect who designed so much of Ljubljana's buildings and bridges) well worth the half hour tour.

Many people day trip up to Lake Bled - easy to do by bus or train (doable but a little less convenient) if you love trains.
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 07:49 AM

I defer to Andrew on all things Ljubljana as he gave us great advice and we loved it!

Stayed in this hotel (Urban Hotel) very near old town and very reasonable. A new boutique style hotel with a good breakfast. We did have a car and the hotel has a discounted rate with a nearby parking garage - you can pull in front of the hotel to unload and they have a good map to the garage. It's less than a 5 minute walk.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/si/urb...e88615579ec8f5

We had two excellent meals. One at a restaurant called MOST right by the Butcher's Bridge. And the other at Na Gradu which is in the Castle courtyard. At the latter we had the tasting menu which was excellent value and delicious.

Re what to do - we walked around Old Town and visited the Market/followed a walking tour of the Art Deco buildings/etc. And we took a lazy boat cruise which was fun. Spent several hours at the castle which we enjoyed.
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 08:03 AM

I stayed in this apartment for 10 days in April-
https://www.ljubljanaapartments.com/...ment.php?id=72

I loved it. You can walk to the old town in 10 minutes, there is plenty of space in the apartment and it was SO clean. Plus the agency is in the same building, so check in was uber easy.

I have also stayed in this guesthouse a couple of times -
http://www.stari-tisler.com/en
Nice rooms and they have a courtyard to sit outside in.

I agree that you should have a meal at Gostilna na Gradu. There is a fun food/walking tour you could check out if you are so inclined.
http://www.topljubljanafoods.com/
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 08:08 AM
kja

There are, indeed, several enjoyable museums in Ljubljana, and several interesting churches and markets and neighborhoods....

And another option for a meal: Pri Škofu. Wonderful!
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Sounds like lots of good options for eating and lodging. We are traveling by bicycle and enjoy touring on foot. Lubjljana sounds great.

We appreciate the feedback. Thank to all of you.

jjtravel