Logistics of trip to France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to visit the following places this fall - Nice, Monte Carlo, Arles, Avignon, Cannes, and hopefully Aix-en-Provence. I do not want to rent a car - I would like to use public transportation. I have up to 14 days to do this in.
What town do you suggest I fly into - what town to use as a possible home base and/or how many days in each of the above towns if they are all convenient to reach in one trip. Also, any hotel suggestions?
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 12:00 PM

Fly into Nice and out of Marseille. All the towns you list are reachable via public transportation.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 12:04 PM

The only town with an airport of any size on your list is Nice. From Nice you can easily visit Monte Carlo and Cannes. The rail hub on Provence´s western side is Avignon. From Avignon you can easily reach Arles, Aix-en-Provence as well as Nîmes, St Rémy, Pont du Gard (by bus) and a host of other locations.

If you are interested in visiting the Luberon, i.e. Gordes, Roussillon, Ménerbes, you will absolutely need a car.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Marseille's international airport is probably more useful than Nice for Avignon, Aix and Arles. Marseille Provence Airport, the name it is using now, can be seen here http://www.airport-marseille.com/ For your cities, it is faster and cheaper to travel directly from the airport instead of shuttling into Marseille city. Here are the possibilities for train and bus connections http://www.mrsairport.com/eng/acces/acces_train+bus.jsp
The coach to downtown Aix takes only 20 minutes, for instance.
Three years ago I discovered the hard way that the nearby train stop only sold tickets through machines requiring a credit card with a chip. I don't know if that situation has changed, but you can buy tickets in advance from www.tgv-europe.com
The suggestion of an open-jaws airline ticket using Marseille and Nice is a practical one.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all!