Low cost to Italy

Old May 31st, 2017, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Low cost to Italy

Norwegian Airlines has just announced that it will introduce low cost flights between Italy and the US.

Initially, in November, between Rome (FCO) and New York (Newark) as well as Los Angeles (LAX) but successively between Rome and San Francisco/Oakland in February.

This company flies the latest planes and offers Premium Economy.
Old May 31st, 2017, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Here is an English reporting of the initiative - http://www.cntraveler.com/story/norw...rom-us-to-rome
Old May 31st, 2017, 06:01 AM

I wish them well. We flew them last summer from Orlando to Copenhagen and will be returning from London with them in three weeks.

The planes are spankin' new 787s. We just bought the seats and brought our own food on board. It was really nice not to be awakened at midnight for a meal we didn't really want anyway.
Old May 31st, 2017, 06:36 AM

They don't even give you a meal? That sucks big time!

Orlando? Why would anyone want to go to Orlando?

Thin
Old May 31st, 2017, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

rs899 - you understand.

Peppe_van_snoot - kids? Plus food on the various american airlines truly sucks.
Old May 31st, 2017, 07:31 AM

"They don't even give you a meal? That sucks big time!

Orlando? Why would anyone want to go to Orlando?"

You can buy a ticket with a meal if you wish, your choice. For me, at least on the trip over, I would rather try to sleep and not be bothered to eat "dinner" when it is convenient for them.

Orlando, yes, well, people actually live there. Working on getting out...
Old May 31st, 2017, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

We do not want this posting to distract from Roma - Newark, LAX, SFO/Oakland.

Pepper-van-snoot - with all due respect your osting regarding Orlando is false news.
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:31 AM

Orlando is quite popular a destination for some non-American travelers, actually. Norwegian isn't stupid, they picked that for a reason.

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with airline food, I truly don't care at all if an airline gives me a meal or not. It's never that good so I hardly eat any of it, anyway. I never eat any of the junk food they give out on short flights domsstically, either, I think it is a sad situation that so many people cannot stand to go without stuffing junk into their mouths for an hour or two. Anyone who thinks that meal is "free" is foolish about how an airline builds its ticket prices, you pay for it at very high rates whether included in the ticket price or not.
Old May 31st, 2017, 12:31 PM

It would be great to be able to fly directly from San Francisco to Italy.

I do like getting a meal on a long flight to help break up the time but I can bring my own. I certainly don't need a snack on a short flight.
Old May 31st, 2017, 12:49 PM

The premium seats recline, which means anyone in front of you can also recline their seat, which can be pretty infuriating and uncomfortable for some, depnding on how tall you are

https://www.norwegian.com/en/travel-...premium-cabin/

Here's a look inside seating arrangements for both premium & economy.

https://thepointsguy.com/2015/10/nor...remium-review/
Old May 31st, 2017, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

In both the 787-8 and 787-9 the pitch is 46 which is significantly more than the equivalent in US carriers.
Old May 31st, 2017, 01:44 PM

"The premium seats recline, which means anyone in front of you can also recline their seat, which can be pretty infuriating and uncomfortable for some, depnding on how tall you are"

He who lives by the recline, dies by the recline. How could they sell premium seats that don't recline?

I can tell you that the cheap seats are fine. No worse than any major airline and I didn't witness anyone being dragged off against their will. Norwegians know how to count heads.
Old May 31st, 2017, 04:16 PM

I like seats that don't recline. I never recline my seat if someone is sitting behind me. If I'm going to fly cheap short-haul, I fly Ryan air for just that reason. Otherwise, I fly business class with flat bed options for long haul. For me, premium economy for long-haul would be falling between two stools. Why pay for "premium" if you are going to end up just as uncomfortable as in economy?