Lovers of the Comptoir du Relais

Jan 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Lovers of the Comptoir du Relais

Yves Camdebordes has changed his next door creperie into AVANT Comptoir-
a standing room only wine bar serving Basque and Bearn-inspired hors d'Oeuvres
a fabulous assortment of charcuterie. I would think this would be idea,l if alone, to meet people.
Jan 28th, 2010, 04:33 PM

We'll not be alone, but it's certainly on my list. Thanks Cigale.
Jan 28th, 2010, 05:27 PM

I have always wanted to eat at the restaurant, but the lines to get in were always too long especially on Sunday.

Keith and I are planning our trip to Egypt for next December, by the way.

Ciao, Mimi

Thin
Jan 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

thiin I dined there only because friends were staying there
and guests get the first reservations.
Jan 28th, 2010, 10:16 PM

Cig,
Did you go inside the hotel? It gets great TA reviews (I know-grain of salt), but their website photos just don't appeal to me. I tend to be far less picky about hotels in Paris than in other destinations, but double rooms start at $400USD and I'm wondering what your impressions were.
Thanks.
Jan 28th, 2010, 11:30 PM

Josh, I stayed there many times when in Paris on business. The rooms are individually and imaginatively furnished but were looking a little tired until the current owner spruced them up. They vary in size--one or two rooms have small terraces in the back but I've not stayed in those. All rooms have windows facing the street but there's no noise when closed. It's a very old Paris townhouse so the rooms can be dark.

I always liked it--helpful staff,the breakfast service either in your room or in the restaurant, is lovely, great location. You can order room service at night from the restaurant--I did that once when I arrived late. I've only actually eaten there once--it was good but I felt hemmed in.

Now that I'm retired, I can't/won't spend that much for a room. Have switched to apartment rentals or for short stays, less expensive hotels. Based on recommendations here, I'm going to try the Hotel Bonaparte, also in the 6th for a lot less.
Jan 29th, 2010, 01:37 AM

Does anyone know if they serve breakfast at the restaurant to non-hotel guests?
Jan 29th, 2010, 03:06 AM

Julie, they do not serve breakfast to non-hotel guests. I have stayed there several times- it is our favorite hotel in Paris- and people always try to come in and get breakfast. The hotel is so convenient to everything and the room we get has a sitting area so my DH can be up with his insomnia and not disturb my beauty rest.

Mimi,
We will have to go and try it. Unfortunately I don't think Paris is in the cards for this year. Thanks for the heads up.
Jan 29th, 2010, 05:48 AM

Thanks Abby. This thread is practically becoming a Paris GTG reunion.
Jan 29th, 2010, 05:53 AM

Yes it is, Julie. Too bad it isn't in Paris. I was thinking of you the other day while reading your Barcelona report. My sisters and I are going in May. Still haven't decided on whre to stay
Jan 29th, 2010, 06:01 AM

at lunch a couple weeks back, it appeared this conversion had been made or was in the process of change. Lots of people standing, sipping wine and eating hors d'oeurves. we did not stay at the htel, but could get dinner res. we ended up canceling
since we didn't love our lunch there.
Jan 29th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

josh, I was in the hotel In my friends' room. I felt like I was in an apartment. There were beamed ceilings and a small chaize where abby could relax. There's a small sitting room downstairs where we had champagne and armagnacs after dinner.
an alcove beside it where the computer is.