Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lovely naples (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lovely-naples-1049355/)

dgunbug Jun 29th, 2015 08:32 AM

Lovely naples

Today is the last of three lovely days spent in Naples. We've enjoyed strolling the charming alleyways, the scenic waterfront and eating the delicious food. Never did we feel uncomfortable...in fact there is a large police presence which we are told is to deter terrorism, and we always felt safe. The people have been courteous and helpful. Today we took the funicular up to St Elmo for a stunning panoramic view of the city. The archeological museum was well worth it's time with treasures from Herculaneum and Pompeii, two easy day trips. For those planning to come to Naples, I would suggest as others have before me, to set aside a few days to explore Naples itself.

TDudette Jun 29th, 2015 12:17 PM

Hi dgunbug, thanks for the input. Where are you staying?

progol Jun 29th, 2015 12:33 PM

Thanks dgunbug - Naples is definitely a place that's on the list, so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much.

TexasAggie Jun 29th, 2015 01:29 PM

We also love Naples :-). Would highly recommend the palace at Caserta if you visit again. The gardens are unbelievable!

yestravel Jun 29th, 2015 01:33 PM

Absolutely love Naples. Glad you are enjoying it!

Blueeyedcod Jun 29th, 2015 01:42 PM

Pretty hot there right now isn't it! Glad you enjoyed. Did you visit the Certosa of San Martino up at Vomero (just near the castle?) incredible place.

Adelaidean Jun 29th, 2015 02:23 PM

On my bucket list. Glad you enjoyed it.

Florida1 Jun 29th, 2015 02:34 PM

We spent a few days there in April. I thoroughly agree with your advice to spend a few days there! I wouldn't mind another visit sometime. Pompeii and Herculaneum are amazing!

Waldo Jun 30th, 2015 07:33 AM

FANTASTIC!!!

dgunbug Jun 30th, 2015 10:08 AM

Blue eyed - Missed the monestary, but the pictures looked interesting.
Texasaggie - also missed the palace at cassata- just couldn't get everything in. The weather was a bit warm, but there was a nice breeze and it was quite comfortable in the mornings and late afternoon onward.

Today we visited Pompeii on the way to Sorrento. With only time for one, IMO I would pick Pompeii which is far more massive and incredulous. With time permitting, both sites are worthwhile.

We stayed in hotel convento II. I loved the location, right in the middle of the old city rather than on the sea front. The restaurant just down the street (below the hotel) was quite good. Don't recall the name but it is the one closest to the Main Street below the hotel. I had a delicious fish salad with squid, shrimp and cuttlefish.

The hotel was quite inexpensive - around $100, compared to the more modern hotels. The staff was terrific - very helpful. The beds were hard and I didn't care for the pillows, but when I mentioned this on our last day, a fluffier pillow was delivered to me. The big draw back is that if you want to sleep in, it is impossible as the church bells begin ringing at 7:30. The breakfast which was included was only fair, but kept us going until our late lunches. This was not a luxurious hotel but we were very happy with it.