Lovely day in Narbonne

Apr 7th, 2007, 10:50 AM
pdx
Original Poster

Lovely day in Narbonne

A few photos from our daytrip to Narbonne in March. Warning. Don't expect fantastic photography.
TinyURL.com/35ysuh

Narbonne had such a pleasant feel to it, I would definitely recommend it as a sightseeing base for the region. We were there only a few hours and I loved it. Funny thing is I keep thinking how it reminds me of an Italian town. It's something to do with the sunny plaza with restaurants, tables, and the little shopping street off to the side.
In the museum at the Hotel de Ville there is a ceramic display with the most beautiful patterns I have ever seen anywhere, ever. Incredible marbled glaze. Ai-yi-yi! And no way to purchase a copy or even a postcard of it. Also a wall of ceramic pharmaceutical jars that made me want to steal them. Seriously. You create a diversion and I'll grab a few jars and run for it.
The other beautiful display was the Oriental Art museum. Good grief. I could have stayed there for hours and it's only a couple of rooms with maybe 50 paintings. Here's a link, though it doesn't do it justice: http://orientaliste.free.fr/musees/narbonne/index.html
We wandered through the covered market and wished we could shop there every day, of course. It's a beautiful building with iron work and wonderful ceramic decorations up the exterior walls. And don't miss the L’horreum Romain. Maybe not the most exciting sight, but interesting and fun to wander the dark, short (read: you'll be stooped over) tunnels of the underground merchants warehouses. There is a museum pass that allows entrance to several of the sites for approx. 5E. Put it on your to-do list for France!
Apr 7th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Thanks, pdx. We will be in this area in September! Which day is the covered market held?
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:19 PM

pdx, we don't see many reports on Languedoc here and even fewer on Narbonne. Thanks for writing about this.

Did you make it to Pont du Gard, as I recollect that you were aiming to do?

I clicked on the link to your photos and Snapfish wants me to register. Do you know if there is a way around this, or did I do something wrong?

I'd love to hear more about your trip.

Anselm
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Thanks - reminded me of a week in March some years ago that we spent in a rented house outside Narbonne. Nice town and area; agree we'd be happy to go back.

klondike, I think the covered market is daily.
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM
pdx
Original Poster

hmm...I've never posted a link to photos before so I don't know how to get around signing up. I know there is info on this board about different photo options but it's all so annoyingly over my head.

We didn't get to the Pont du Gard. Our train didn't stop in Avignon and we ended up in Marseilles. Way too far to go back to the Pont du Gard. Poor planning on my part. But part of the adventure. We ended up with a lovely meal because of it.

I'll write up a few more notes about the rest of the Languedoc trip. I didn't journal like I said I would.

the covered market is open every day. I hope you enjoy Narbonne as much as we did, klondike. It was such a relaxed, easy place to visit.