Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Love Europe, but I miss _ _ _. What do you miss most?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 07:54 AM
John

Ice - great big buckets in hotels, and more than two cubes for my drink. <BR> <BR>Have resorted to going to McDonalds, ordering a coke and have them hold the coke part. <BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Linda

Tex-Mex

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Lori

There was a thread on this a while ago.... <BR>I miss not necessarily in this order <BR>My Dog <BR>My Nieces <BR>My Bed <BR>My Shower

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Judy

Hi John, Plastic or styrofoam cups, take away coffee esp.in Paris, if you don't get the hotel cont'l bkfst and don't feel like facing the world yet.....Air conditioning on the scale as in the SE. US....Judy

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Diane

A nice cold glass of milk.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Ursula

Diane: Strange, we DO have milk in Europe though, even low-fat and half-half! <BR>A lot of people have a cold glass of it, even in cafés. Just ask for it and you will most probably get it.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 09:29 AM
ellie

one million tv channels......

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Laura

I think I miss things like the way we refrigerate raw eggs, don't let dogs into restaurants, and how uncommon it is for men to urinate at the side of the road out in the open like so many do in Germany.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Going2

Men can urinate on the side of the road? Now that is freedom. Sign me up! Laura, I think you may just be jealous I suppose one must be careful along the autobahn!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Beth Anderson

I don't think I've been away long enough to actually miss anything. My longest trip(s) to date have been a month or so each - not long enough to even notice. <BR> <BR>now, one day I hope to be gone long enough to really miss something. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Laura

Message: Going 2 ..."Men can urinate on the side of the road? Now that is freedom. Sign me up!"...We have a business associate who lives in Germany and she said that they have passed a law forbidding this type of behavior and that there are fines if you are caught. Trouble is, so many men just ignore this law and go whenever and wherever the urge strikes. And there is no doubt about what they are doing at all.....no modesty whatsoever! We were in Cologne during Carnival last year, and in the mornings, the streets were foul with the smell of urine.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 11:11 AM
J T Kirk

Urinating on the side of the road is fairly common, also, in France and Italy. <BR>I like the fact that dogs are welcome into restaurants.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Marilyn Ham

I don't mind the dogs, but I miss my pillow, having an assortment of junk at hand . . . oh, an ice. Marilyn

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 11:27 AM
cindy

That's easy - MY DOGS! Then, of course, my pillow and freeeeezing cold air conditioning. <BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Laura

Captain....you are right, urinating on the side of the road (in the open) is common in a lot of countries, but nowhere else have I seen the men urinating on the outside of the buildings in the cities, except in Germany, especially in the north.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Diane

It's not that I thought one couldn't order a glass of milk in Europe, it is simply that it isn't a very visible choice. As a matter of fact, I very happily preferred to order a glass of beer or prosecco or other wine. When we got home from the airport the other night, I went straight to the refrigerator and poured a big cold glass of milk. Didn't know I'd missed it until that moment!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Ursula

Diane: That's ok. We all have our favourites. When I get home (Switzerland), I go first for a nice bred and some cheese. And after a long intercontinental flight, yes, a glass of cold milk is certainly a very good thing as well to recover from yetlag.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 12:45 PM
BTilke

We enjoy living in Europe overall. Among the things we miss are: <BR>Eating EARLY!! There are times when I just want to eat dinner at 5:30 pm, be done at 6:15 pm and have the whole evening to relax. If I walk into a Brussels (or Paris, etc.) restaurant before 7 pm (at the earliest!!) I get "the stare." The wait staff are all still having their pre-dinner-crowd drinks and cigarettes (I very rarely show up at restaurants before 8 pm, but sometimes I wish I could...). When in Chicago for a business trip last year, I was thrilled to walk into Bistro 110 at 5:30 pm, see it was already half full, and be able to eat a complete dinner early so I could go back to the Hyatt and collapse with jet lag before 8 pm. <BR>Other things I miss are truly smoke-free environments, big comfy beds, American wiring, air conditioning on hot and muggy days (nobody I know has an air conditioner in their apartment; I don't even know where we could get one). <BR>And finally, I miss people who actually clean up after their dog. We seem to be the ONLY people in Brussels who pick up after our dog regularly--come on, Europeans, it's not that big a deal to clean up after your dog!! Why do you put up with all that dog crap on every block--and try as you might, it's one thing you CAN'T blame on American tourists!!! <BR>BTilke (Brussels) <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 05:24 AM
topper

ttt

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Jen

When I lived in the UK, I missed: <BR> <BR>a big fridge; <BR>clothes dryer large enough to dry more than 1 pair of jeans and 1 shirt at a time, and in less than 1 hour; <BR>Ice; <BR>Sunshine!; <BR>NCAA basketball pool; <BR>24-hour diners; <BR>Big roads; <BR>Ben & Jerry's (although luckily, you can get Ben & Jerry's there now); <BR>Decent pizza: fresh or frozen; <BR>Shopping on Sunday and after 5 on weekdays; <BR>People regularly refrigerating eggs and milk, and covering things they put back in the fridge; <BR>Decent shower

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -