Louvre gallery closings?

Jan 21st, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Louvre gallery closings?

I was just visiting the Louvre website today, and I noticed that there was made mention of current renovation work which has caused the closing of the Classical and Hellenistic rooms. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me when these rooms will open again, or how long the museum usually closes rooms for when doing reno work... I got the impression that these rooms have been closed for over a year now, but of course, this was not made clear presumably so as not to discourage anyone from visiting...

Anyone able to help me out? Thanks so much!
Jan 21st, 2007, 11:29 AM

It's not just certain rooms closed for renovation...the Louvre is short on guards, and as a result certain rooms are closed for part of each day, and trying to find out what is closed can be a challenge. Best to ask at the information desk before you start out, and then hope the person has the correct information.

We've found that the sarcophagus crypt beneath one area of the Egyptian collection is frequently closed for part of the day, usually 12-2; so you really need to plan your visit to avoid those closures.
Jan 21st, 2007, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Hmm ok thanks... I gathered that from their website, but there is a note specifically on one page that says the Classical and Hellenistic rooms are closed to the public during renovations...

I found it here:
http://www.louvre.fr/llv/pratique/ho...sp?bmLocale=en

I would be quite happy if this were not the case, however...
Jan 21st, 2007, 01:57 PM

Most of those galleries were closed last May, I can tell you. But I can also tell you that there is still Greek art to see. The Salle des Caryatides (room 17) has some of the most interesting Hellenistic sculpture (although sadly, not all the royal portraits). Also, the gallery with the Borghese Warrior (ground floor, Denon) is still open, and that is filled with Bronze Age and early Archaic material. Some of the vases are in that gallery and the one adjacent (which is also still open), but most of the vases (Athenian and South Italian) are in the Campana galleries on the first floor (or maybe it's the second), which are still open (although check the main list of gallery closings by day, because these are not open every day). The small Greek bronzes (Geometric era material, Classical mirrors, etc) are also in a gallery that remains open.

Of those galleries that are closed, you will be missing the bits of the Parthenon (which is only two metopes and a piece of frieze, as I recall), some 4th c BC funerary monuments, some white-ground lekythoi, a slew of 5th and 4th c sculpture (including the Apollo Sauroktonos and the Artemis of Gabii).

Never fear, the Venus de Milo is in a temporary home where you can still see her. Her gallery was still open as of last May but was about to be closed. I assume the Hellenistic portraits that were in her gallery are off view now.

I hope this gives you some specific info (more than you probably wanted!!).

Depending on when you're going, there is a major exhibition on Praxiteles opening sometime. I know it'll be open in May, because that's when I'm going. Yay!

Search this Thread