Search

Please advise: route from Mittenwald to Rothenburg

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please advise: route from Mittenwald to Rothenburg

We will be staying three nights in Mittenwald. One night in Rothenburg

Would it be too hectic a day to drive from Mittenwald in the morning to visit Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau , then continue on to Rothenburg that afternoon?

Or, would it be best to do a day trip from Mittenwald to visit the castles, then have a leisurely drive stopping along the way to Rothenburg.

I see that is is about an hour and half drive from Mittenwald to the castles, and from there another close to two hours on to Rotherburg.

We have never been to Germany, just trying to figure out what the possibilites would be for this part of our trip. So basically, is it best to do a day trip during our Mittenwald stay to see the castles, or try to spend our time in Mittenwald doing other activies and use our day driving to Rothenburg to see the castles. Hope this makes sense, not sure it does to me at the moment.

I appreciate any advice!
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Quite a bit of the A7 autobahn from Füssen to Rothenburg is brand new and has only moderate traffic most of the time, except for the area around Ulm. Fast and VERY easy driving. From Mittenwald to Füssen via Oberammergau it's a smaller and winding road as soon as you cross the Austrian border. It has quite some traffic. Not really worth going back to Mittenwald on that road again.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks logos! So maybe the idea of castles in the morning then on to Rothenburg isn't such a bad plan. Would you be able to give an estimate of how long we should plan for the drive between Mittenwald and Neuschwanstein? We will be making this drive mid October.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM

About 1 hour and 10 mins without any stops. About 79km. And then 2 hours, 10 mins to Rothenburg ob der Tauber ~ 250km. It's a hard call to make. When we take new folks we do the Loop from G-P: http://thirdmansystems.com/vacation/...20Garmisch.htm
See Ettal, Linderhof, Plansee, Lech Falls, Neuschwanstein, Wieskirche, Oberammergau, and back to the start. Or skip Lech Falls, Wieskirche and Oberammergau and head to Rothenburg ODT. And maybe add Dinkelsbühl just to really wear you out.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Füssen to Rothenburg on the A7 at an average of 130km/h is possible most of the time, depending on the weather too of course. From Mittenwald to Oberammergau it's easy and fast too, but it's hard to tell how fast you can drive from there to Füssen. In summer there are many people that drive VERY slow and cause long lines behind them, in an area where it's hard to pass. Average below 50kmh rather normal.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM

We have done this trip from Garmisch through Reutte and the castles then back through Wies (great church) Oberammergau and back to Garmisch. It made for a nice day. You can purchase timed tickets for the castles in advance. October is a great time to visit Germany so the castle may be crowded. We have seen the crowds grow from our first visit in 1971 to our last few visits.

If I were you I would leave Mittenwald early, visit the castles then head to Rothenburg. As you are staying only one night in Rothenburg you may want to get there in time to take the Nightwatchman's Tour that leaves the main platz at 8pm for English. You will enjoy this and it will give you a nice tour of the city. (Check the Rothenburg web site to be sure I am still correct on the time).
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - this has been a huge help!