Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Loucas Hotel, Santorini. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/loucas-hotel-santorini-403316/)

Marko Feb 25th, 2004 12:30 AM

Loucas Hotel, Santorini.

Has any one else had the fortunate pleasure of dealing with Kelly at the Loucas, my god she has been helpful. I hope the accomodation is as good as the help received from Kelly.

mcbailey Feb 25th, 2004 02:14 PM

Thought you might be interested in this. I found this posting on tripadvisor.com. There's a few of them like this. You might want to bail if it's not too late.
Santorini: Loucas Hotel: "Loved the view, hated the hotel"
Date: June 29, 2003
Reviewer: A TripAdvisor User, Canada

This hotel was designed rediculously! We had to put our key in the circuit breaker to turn on any lights, the problem was that we also needed the key to lock and unlock the door. Everytime we wanted to open the door we lost power, the door only locked with a key, not automatically. At night you had to lock the door in the dark. The window on the door was locked by a cheap slide lock which made us quite insecure. The hotel had empty, dark, depressing rooms and the bathrooms were in need of renovation. They didn't have a shower or bath, it was a tub suitable for a small child. Breakfast was great because of the view, although the food did not taste at all and was lacking in selection. The staff was indifferent except for one woman who was extremely nice. Would never stay here again! What a dump!

Patrick Feb 25th, 2004 02:20 PM

I think the person who made that assessment must have been confused. That is NOT the same Loucas Hotel we stayed in at Santorini. I have no idea what that whole key thing is about -- we didn't have that at all.
Dark and depressing? Well, dark yes. They are cave rooms actually, so you can't expect any windows except at the front. But depressing? Ours was lovely with rustic painted blue furniture and typical Greek decor. Our bathroom was great with a walk in shower with glass doors. It may have been one of those showers that the bottom part is built as sort of a tub, as our many in Turkey and Greece, but I can't imagine using it as a tub, we just used it as a shower.
I'm not sure how the food could not "taste". Ours was delicious.

TracyB Feb 25th, 2004 03:47 PM

It is funny how different people have different opinions..Over and over again, I have stayed in hotels and absolutely loved them and then later read a review where somebody hated it...Guess we all have our own opinions...That is why i never judge a place until I have first hand experience..I did see the Loucas Hotel when we were in Santorini last year and I would definately stay there...

Marko Feb 25th, 2004 08:18 PM

Tahnks guys...makes me feel better. Personal perception is an interesting thing. Some people hate the food just because the TANG was warm, what some people call dark others call romantic.
Thank God we are all different.

mjnbrown Feb 26th, 2004 01:24 PM

I stayed at the Loucas Hotel in Thira in 2000 and really liked the hotel. I was on the very bottom level, down the caldera, which was very quiet and peaceful - with wonderful sunset views. The room was not luxurious, but very comfortable with a little refrig. You have to like stair climbing to stay at that level. I climbed 42 stairs to get to breakfast at the hotel and 117 stairs to get out of the hotel property, into Thira. Many European and Asian hotels use your key card to power your room. I think it's a great energy saving idea. I would definitely stay there again.
Martha