Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lots of specific Q's London trains/stations

Jan 29th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Jeff

Narrowing down some logistics: Arriving on the Eurostar at Waterloo (late April). Leaving later that day for Bath from Paddington. 1. Is there left luggage/storage at both stations? (I seem to remember that some cities stopped storing luggage due to terrorism). 2. We would prefer not to take the tube from Waterloo to Paddington (b/c of luggage, etc.). How much (approx.) would a cab cost? Or is there a better alternative? 3. I have typically purchased regular trains tickets in Europe as needed (excluding highspeed trains). Is it true UK ticket prices are higher if purchased on the day of travel? 4. Is the London-Bath train (apprx. 1.5 hours) a commuter-type train? We plan to take it later in the day and I am concerned about it being crowded with workers. Thank you to anyone who had the guts to read these questions!

Jan 29th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Gregory

Hi Jeff,
Here goes
1. Yes there are lockers at both stations. I do not know at the moment if they are open.
2.A Taxi from outside the station would probably be (£20-25)depending on traffic
3. You can get cheaper tickets by booking in advance.However yo will lose some flexibility in that you have to travel on the specified trains or you will have to pay a supplement. However if you book a Saver/Supersaver and avoid peak times the trains will be cheaper.
Try the www.thetrainline.com for prices.
4. The trains will generally be the long distance expresses (Intercity 125 diesels).However at peak times they can get very busy crowded and if possible you can reserve seats- usually free ( you can reserve up to 2 hours prior to departure)

Jan 30th, 2002, 06:58 AM
jeff

Thanks Gregory. Anyone else have any suggestions or thoughts?

Jan 30th, 2002, 07:45 AM
ron

I thought Gregory gave a complete and comprehensive reply. What else is it that you want to know?

Jan 30th, 2002, 08:13 AM
David

Jeff

There is also a train service from Waterloo to Bath Spa. It is slower than from Paddington (2hr 12min compared to 1hr 30min)but it would save you having to make the half hour journey between the two stations. The service is also less frequent with only a handful of trains a day - I think the last train is at 19:17 arriving in Bath at 21:30

Jan 30th, 2002, 11:33 AM
jeff

David: Thanks for the tip. I'll factor that in.

Ron: Gregory's answer was very good, and I appreciate it, but there could always be other options or ideas. David's post is a case in point. (By the way, are you offering your help or just criticism?)

Jan 30th, 2002, 12:08 PM
ron

Yes, Jeff, I'm willing to help. I have travelled between Paddington and Bath a number of times, I have checked luggage at the left luggage in Paddington - it was open in October 2001, and I know of an even slower and cheaper way of getting between London and Bath by train (by changing trains in Salisbury). Is any of that of interest?

Jan 30th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Jeff

Ron: Thanks for the info on the left luggage. Over the years different cities (or at least Paris) have shut down their left-luggage storage areas from time to time. Your info encourages me (that I can store our bags). I think the Salisbury trek leaves from Waterloo, which is probably what David was referring to. I hadn't thought, though, of taking that route, until David mentioned it. It sounds as though, the net Waterloo- Salisbury-Bath trip length could actually be about the same length as the Paddington-Bath trip, if I factor in the hastle of transferring to Paddington. But maybe I'm making too much of the time/effort of transferring to Paddington. Thx again.