Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lost luggage for all of Paris trip, returned damaged luggage on day I was leaving, what is reasonable compensation? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lost-luggage-for-all-of-paris-trip-returned-damaged-luggage-on-day-i-was-leaving-what-is-reasonable-compensation-537843/)

pjsparlor Jun 19th, 2005 09:26 AM

Lost luggage for all of Paris trip, returned damaged luggage on day I was leaving, what is reasonable compensation?

Hello, I seem to be getting alot of lip service at Northwest. Does anyone know the compenstion I should expect for not having my luggage for my entire trip to Paris and damaged luggage when I did receive it on the day I was leaving?

I filed a claim at CDG the day I arrived in Paris for lost luggage because of some problems with my flight the night before. So in Detroit when I was flying to Paris on Northwest they knew my luggage was going to be delayed when I arrived. They thought 24 hours. My friends luggage all arrived within 48 hours, but mine showed up on the day we were leaving. I was told since my luggage was delayed more than 72 hours it is considered a loss, and I should be compensated for 650.00, regardless when the luggage shows up after that/ I also should be reimburesed for clothes I had to buy/ and I should recieve 50.00 a day for incidentals? So far I received nothing. So experts I am willing to hear your experiences and advice. Thanks in advance! I also posted this on the airline forum, but this forum seems to get alot more threads.

Patrick Jun 19th, 2005 09:31 AM

I can tell you that when a local high school choral group traveled to Paris, the airline lost ALL their luggage and like you, they got it the day they were leaving. The airline gave each student $500 -- that was at least 7 or 8 years ago.

4totravel Jun 19th, 2005 09:37 AM

Did you write to the airline? When American lost our luggage to Cancun in March they needed me to write them a letter detailing everything before they would credit us anything.
I did and they did.

Catbert Jun 19th, 2005 09:41 AM

Your ATM card didn't work AND your luggage was lost. Wow. Tough trip! You might want to post this at flyertalk.com too.

pjsparlor Jun 19th, 2005 09:42 AM

I have not wrote to the airline, but from my understanding I was supposted to compensated at the final destination of my trip. I will send them all my receipts for clothes purchases but I am not sure what compenstion I get for damaged luggage?

elaine Jun 19th, 2005 09:56 AM

For damages and permanent loss, there are limits on what they will pay, it's in the small print somewhere when you buy a ticket, and even then you have to produce receipts or other proof of what was in the suitcase. Ditto with putting in a claim with your own insurance company. I had a suitcase stolen once, my insurance company accepted photos I had taken of clothes hanging in my closet, which I update periodically for my insurance file.

rex Jun 19th, 2005 10:02 AM

Criminy! No ATM card, and no luggage, and a day delayed getting home. This "great deal" (the "Rockford deal" sure took its tool, huh?

I think that lugae damade compensation might tend towards all or none. If you can show that it is <i>functionally</i> ruined then, your reasonable compensation is <b>full</b> replacement value. But if it works the same as it did before (but is cosmetically damaged), then the airline is likely to fall back on the old saying - - &quot;the purpose of luggage is to <i>take</i> the damage of handling (and thereby protect its contents from said damage)&quot; - - did it do that? or were contents damaged?

Glad to see you are made of tough enough stuff to have dealt with all this!

Best wishes,

Rex

ahotpoet Jun 19th, 2005 10:11 AM

If you charged your ticket on a credit card you might call their customer service number to see what compensation is available through them. It could be worth your while.

suze Jun 19th, 2005 10:53 AM

That sure is alot of things going wrong on one single trip. You have my sympathies.

Not that you have to explain to us, but I'm curious why the airlines told you ahead of time that your luggage would be delayed, how did they know this? Was this a tour group or something you arranged yourself? Was it a nonstop flight Detroit/Paris?

As far as what the airline will give you for a damaged suitcase, as already mentioned above, it is most likely written somewhere in fine print on your plane ticket or the airline website.

It was my impression that compensation came after the fact, after you submit your claim in writing, not that they would hand you $650 at your last airport.

P_M Jun 19th, 2005 11:01 AM

It is sad that so much went wrong on your trip. Were you able to enjoy your trip at all? I wish you luck in getting fair compensation.

starrsville Jun 19th, 2005 11:24 AM

Well, if I am reading the NW site correctly their limit is $150 per person under normal conditions.
http://www.nwa.com/plan/comm3.html
$50 the first day and then $25/day up to $150.

BUT, there is a section that states there are not liable for damanges if the luggage is misdirected because of &quot;voluntary luggage separation&quot;. Your comment &quot;because of some problems with my flight the night before&quot; is a bit vague, but may be the root of the problem.

&quot;I was told...I should be compensated for $650&quot;. Who told you that?

The suggestion to ask on flyertalk is a good one.

pjsparlor Jun 19th, 2005 11:43 AM

I posted on flyertalk too. I will post the whole stort later because it is good~~I did have an awesome time in Paris, by the way! Loved giverny too, but right now I am focusing on some of the pragmatic things to get compensated for! Yes no luggage or money in Paris, and you can still enjoy!!

Catbert Jun 19th, 2005 11:47 AM

Well you certainly have a great attitude. Be sure when you send receipts you send copies of receipts. Or if you must send originals, keep copies.

pjsparlor Jun 19th, 2005 11:50 AM

Starrsville, in Detroit we talked to luggage supervisor and was told if your luggage is missing for 72 hours even if you eventually receive your luggage it is considered lost.He said the max. on international flights is 650.00, it is more on domestic which makes no sense to me, but that is what he said of the rules.

pjsparlor Jun 19th, 2005 12:03 PM

Question: What are my rights if my luggage is lost?

Answer: Domestically, an airline is liable for up to $2,500 for every piece of checked luggage lost. Internationally, the ceiling is only about $635 per bag.

You should know the following:

• Cash, jewelry and other very valuable items are not the responsibility of the airline, even if they're in checked luggage that gets lost.

• That $2,500 is an airline's maximum liability, not an automatic one. You're required to prove the value of your bag and its contents by providing receipts for each item. (If you're not keeping a file of receipts for everything you purchase, that little fact should convince you to begin doing so!)

• The value of most items will be depreciated depending on their age.

• If your bag and its contents are worth more than $2,500, you may buy extra insurance at check-in. The rate is $2 for every extra $100 in coverage up to a maximum of $5,000.

• If your luggage is simply delayed (as opposed to &quot;lost&quot;), an airline is usually responsible for delivering it to your home, hotel or place of business when it is recovered.

• But if you check in late, you will be responsible for returning to the airport to retrieve any checked luggage that is delayed. Unfortunately, not all airlines' published rules are clear about what constitutes a &quot;late&quot; check-in for luggage purposes.

• If you do check in on time and your baggage is delayed, an airline should pay for &quot;interim expenses,&quot; which are negotiable. If you have a tuxedo in your checked luggage that you need because you play first violin in a symphony orchestra, I would argue that the airline should buy you an immediate replacement. Not all airlines would agree.

I thought this was interesting, I got this on flyertalk. I think I will invest in extra insurance next time since it is so cheap!

hopingtotravel Jun 19th, 2005 12:23 PM

You're kidding! One is expected to keep receipts for the clothing/shoes/books/cosmetics etc we take in a suitcase? I buy stuff that can be expensive to replace but admittedly when I travel it is not, of course, all new.

pjsparlor Jun 19th, 2005 12:51 PM

I have all my receipts from the trip,the clothes and shoes and make up ect from the lost luggage, but it is ludricous isn't to think you will have all your receipts from the clothes in your luggage!!

pjsparlor Nov 19th, 2005 07:22 PM

ttt

MaureenB Nov 19th, 2005 07:46 PM

I'm so sorry you had such bad luck on your trip to Paris. It must have taken a good deal of the fun out of it, to be searching for clothing, toiletries, shoes, hair dryers, etc. instead of relaxing and sightseeing. Let us know how it turns out with your compensation. I can't see how they can expect you to have receipts for the clothing you'd packed. That's can't be right. I'd think they'd use an average of $500 per bag or something. I hope it turns out ok for you. Get them to give you free roundtrip airfare to Paris! They owe you big time.

Budman Nov 19th, 2005 07:56 PM

Well, it's been 5 months. Any resolution? ((b))