Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looks like to be out of the track but I really need your comment......

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Jessi

Dear All

I have been suffering from low back pain especially during midnight every day after sleeping for a few hours . I think it's because of my mattress which I have been using for 5 years. (The cotton pad layer above the springs is getting thinner and thinner). Now I have been looking for a new mattress and have come across this brand "Tempur" which, as it states: the tempur material has unique visco-elastic temperature sensitive pressure relieving properties. When body heat and weight is applied to the Tempur material, it distributes the pressure evenly, preventing pressure build up in prominent areas of the body, thus effectivly relieves back, neck and joint pains.....

Well, the above description sounds very attractive but the price is another story. For a size of 54' x 75', it costs around US$1500 (after discount). I don't know if this worth the money or not. I don't mind to invest such a big sum to get better sleep but have to know if it really works or not. If any of you have used this mattress before, please comment or give me some advice. Your kind assistance is highly appreciated!!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:29 PM
penelope

Are you taking it to Europe with you?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Jessi

Nope, I will buy it in my home town and use it at home to replace the old mattress.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:37 PM
k

jessi,I think it is too expensive.there are good mattresses for less and I don't know about the tempur mumbo jumbo.look for sealy posturpedic etc..

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:40 PM
x

Have you considered flipping your old mattress over and sleeping on the other side? $1500 for a full size mattress is steep; does this price include the box spring? Look at Stearns & Foster which is a top of the line mattress.

Or get one of those $300 airbeds so that you can take it with you to Europe.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:45 PM
r

This is funny. Maybe you are not aware that this is a travel forum. That said, I am familiar with the Tempur Pedic products. Did you know that you don't have to buy them by mail order anymore? Some stores carry them. So, find out where in your area and go try it out. I have used the pillow and like it. Now back to travel.....

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Al Godon

I can see why Jessi would ask the question here. If you were hurting, and only people who have hurting backs know the pain involved, would you not ask advice where you knew you would find a knowledgeable group of people? I sure would. And no where else on all of Internet are you going to find a more intelligent, well versed, genuinely helpful bunch of people than right here.

For every snide snob who has to belittle and cast caustic aspersions, there are at least two well-informed, highly intelligent responders who will do their best to give assistance as best they know.

I don't think Jessi is a troll. I think s/he is somebody whose back hurts and pays the price of constant discomfort and is seeking relief.
If I am wrong then I am the cockeyed optimist of South Pacific.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:55 PM
karl

Al,what the hell are you talking about? Not one person said that this was a troll nor did anyone mock him, everyone answered him.YOU have a problem.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:57 PM
kate

Aah..Tempur Pedic I have heard of , but I would recommend seeing a doctor first to be sure there isn't something going on with your back...and that it is not the bed causing your discomfort.It might be as easily fixed as doing certain gentle exercises each day,stretching or bending.I hope you get some sleep!K

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:58 PM
pat

I have a tempur-pedic mattress and LOVE it. It is the best one around. You can purchase it at stores such as brookstone but if you have a better back store they often have sales of 15-20% off. It was worth it to me.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Kathi

Dear Jessi,

As a fellow back pain sufferer, I can tell you IMO you can't go wrong with trying a temperpedic mattress. I have one and LOVE it. What a difference in my quality of sleep. (and quantity, since I now sleep all night instead of tossing and turning). I believe there is a 90 day trial period so you can always send it back if you don't like it. Yes, it's alot of money, but it's worth it.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Leslie

I don't know anything about Tempur, however, I will tell you that the most important part of the mattress is the spring count and how the springs are coiled and joined together. Expensive ticking and pillowtops are nice features, but you don't sleep on the ticking, so that is really not important, and you can avoid getting the pillowtop by purchasing an egg crate (foam rippled) mattress pad, and then put a mattress pad over the egg crate so that it won't move. All of that being said, I have a top of the line Beautyrest pillowtop queen mattress that is the ultra firm model that does not get flipped over, only turned from top to bottom for even wear. This brand is second to Stearns & Foster (which is considered the best), and cost me $1000 for the mattress and boxspring last year. Also, make sure that you buy a mattress that has a 15 year or longer warranty. If the warranties are long, its kind of safe to say that the manufacturer makes a high quality mattress.

If you have a Macy's nearby, check out the bedding department there, as Macy's has excellent prices on high quality bedding when it is on sale. And don't bother to pay extra for the Scotchguard, you can do that yourself.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:56 PM
xxx

I sleep naked

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Jessi

Kathi

How long have you been using the Tempur mattress and is it a double-sized one? Would it disturb the one who's sleeping next to you when you toss and turn? Have you tried the any spring mattresses before? How would you compare the spring mattress with Tempur mattress? I have checked with the agent in my country but they don't offer any trial period. That means I have to seek more advices from others like you.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Kathi

Jessi,
I've had my mattress for about 2 years. We bought two twins and pushed them together, so we have essentially a king size bed but we don't bother one another with tossing and turning. The neat thing about the temper-pedic mattress is there is very little tossing and turning. It is designed to mold to the body's contours so you never feel uncomfortable in one position. Sometimes I wonder if I move at all at night. It's really amazing. I have had many coil spring mattresses. The one I liked the best was a Sealy posturpedic, (I think. I have to double check with my husband on that one.) It was a very comfortable mattress, but I still like my temper-pedic best. One down side for me: The mattress is temperature sensitive. I live on the east coast and my mattress is cold at night during the winter months and takes time for my body heat to warm it up. So I bought an electric blanket which I turn on before I go to bed to warm up my mattress. Then I turn it off before I go to sleep. I know I sound like a commercial and I apologize. Hope this helps. Also consider trying the pillows first. We did this and were impressed enough to purchase the mattresses. The pillows come in different sizes though, so you may have to find one that's most comfortable. Also, can you deal with the company directly so you can have the trial period? They may have changed their policy, too. I don't know, just a thought.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:53 AM
iiiiiii

-
First before you plunk down a big chunk of change for this tempur mattress, find yourself a good masseuse. I think everyone needs healing hands at least twice a month, or more often if you can afford it. Then I'd follow Leslie's advice (it's all about springs!) and consider one of the top line mattresses made by Stearns & Foster or Beautyrest.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Leslie

If you have chronic pain, then you should first see an orthopaedic practitioner. I wouldn't advise going to see a chiropractor unless one is recommended by an orthpaedic practitioner, because after manipulation by the chiropractor you will no doubtedly temporarily feel better because your natural endomorphins (natural novacaine in your system) will be released giving you the temporary appearance that you have been cured. Also, if your mattress is old and giving you back problems, and you are in pain when you try out a new mattress, any one of them is going to make you feel better than what you have. So, don't rush to judgment, and make sure you do your research first.

By the way, if you are sharing your bed, is your significant other experiencing similar problems?

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:36 AM
snore

Ooooooooooooo-Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:41 AM
xx

let's see--I am a newbie, I look at a travel forum and find questions about mattresses, what brand soda is best, the virtues of American vs canadian education, the difference between Mercedes before and after the merger with Chrysler . . . yea, a great travel forum

doesn't anyone interact with other people besides here--I guess not after all there aren't any places like epinions or consumer reports, nope, not in the world that some people exist in

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 10:22 AM
rock a bye baby

-
To: xx, the newbie
Actually this is one of the best travel forums on the www. And if you browse thru the first 150 topics, you will see the vast majority are about travel.

What you may not know is there's a group of avid 'fodorites' who frequent this site with an addict's fervor and consequently, will occasionally delight in opportunity to chat on a topic that, uh, skirts the issues of travel. I've seen several threads in which folks reveal who they are and it's an interesting & educated group that gather here.

Back to Jessi & her sleeping problem. Have you tried to contact the "counting sheep"? I see them on those Serta mattress adds and they desperately are in need of work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO