Looking to buy Olive bowls from Greece and Turkey

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy Olive bowls from Greece and Turkey

Hi all:
We'll be in Greece in the fall.

As I grow, cure and brine my own olives, I'd like to find olive bowls to bring home and give as gifts.

We'll be in Athens, Crete, Santorini, Mykonos, Samos and Ephesus.

Any help is much appreciated.

Carol
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:55 AM

What a good idea, clehrman! I advise you to take one of those foldable collapsible bags in the bottom of your suitcase to carry them back in ... best to do carry-on if not too many; get your husband to tote some of them, you can judge which items can be packed in your regular bag, wrapped in your laundry & which need more protection.

Actually, you may find lots of small, well-crafted olive-wood items. Small butter knives, handles for other utensils. Chania Crete craft shops will have good items at reasonable prices. On the "street of Knives" you can buy razor-sharp cretan knives w. olive-wood handles. Some have sayings etched on the blades, but also plain. I got one of the latter for my son, who uses it in his kitchen constantly.

I have some small saucer-size dishes of olive wood, and a wonderful round lidded olivewood box that I bought for just 7€ in the folk museum of Nafplio.

I'd guess that your best bargains may be in Crete especially Chania, next Athens. Forget Ephesus. Samos, hmm. Not pricey, but I don't recall too many shops with well-crafted items. Santorini and Mykonos will have attractive goods but prices waaay jacked up for affluent cruise crowds. one nice place, just off the harbor about 100 feet on a small land is "Salamandre", featuring art & craft items by Mykonians... ranging from €2 to the stratosphere, but all well-done. I don't remember olive-wood, but may be some.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks travelerjan for all the great suggestions.

I wouldn't have thought about olive-wood items - will look for them in Chania. And thanks for the tip about the "street of Knives".

I'm assuming that I'll also be able to find ceramic olive bowls in Chania, as well as Athens.

Thanks again,
Carol
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:38 AM

The knives of course, are feasible only if you have a checked bag!
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

We only do carry-on, but on the way home we sometimes check a bag and fill it with things we can live without in case it gets lost and carry on all the good stuff we bought!!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the great gift idea.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:26 AM

If you want a super-sized container for your olives, I found some very large hand-blown antique wide-mouth glass jars in Oia on Santorini at the collectables shop nearest to the bus square. I don't remember the name but as you walk out of the square up towards the cliff you will pass a corner shop where someone is usually standing to offer free samples of pistachios or candy. Turn left to walk up the steps to the main village square and the shop I've mentioned is on the left next to this candy shop. One of the women who works there is named Athanasia and she packaged the jar carefully and mailed it to me. It arrived in great shape, in spite of all my fears. I really do mean super-sized, by the way. It holds about 3 gallons.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

brotherleelove - I will be looking for ceramic olive bowls (the kind with a separate compartment for pits) as gifts - BUT, maybe as a gift for me and hubby, we'll go for the super-sized olive container!!!

I'll definitely check out that shop in Oia. Thanks for the info.
Carol
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:28 AM

Wow. In Greece I don't remember seeing those compartmented things. Maybe because GReeks eat outdoors 9 months of the year, so they just toss the pits in the sea! or the Bushes! Oh hey, maybe that's where all the olive trees came from!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:23 PM

There are a few shops in Athens right near Monastiraki Square with lots of the dishes you are looking for. I have had dishes shipped twice with no breakage.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Parosblue - thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it! Carol
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 12:19 PM

I hope the extra-large glass jars with a wide mouth are still there. Athanasia had others with a narrow mouth too small to reach into.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

brotherleelove - even if the extra-large glass jars aren't there any more, it sounds like an interesting shop. Who knows what other treasures I'll find!
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Exactly. There are lots of interesting collectibles there, more variety and originality in selection than any other shop in Oia.