Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for wood block print fabric in Paris

Jun 29th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

I arrived in Paris last evening on a spur-of-the-moment first visit. I've been researching away and am very excited to explore the city (and maybe a day trip). The Forum has been incredibly helpful already with hotel and restaurant suggestions; I always turn to Fodor's first for any travel question!

One thing that I'd love to find is a shop that sells cotton fabric printed with Indian wood blocks. I need a few yards for a special project back at home. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know that there is a huge fabric store in the 18th, Marche St Pierre, but I haven't been able to ascertain from their website whether they have that sort of fabric. Thanks for any help!
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:53 AM

I cannot remember whether Marche St Pierre has that fabric or not but, the area around it is just one fabric shop after another. Perhaps, if you have the time, just wandering around there might be productive.
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:49 AM

You might want to check the African "wax" fabric shops between Barbès-Rochechouart and Château Rouge. Rue Polonceau and rue des Poissonniers have a lot of them.

If you are looking for Indian prints, you need to go to rue du Faubourg Saint Denis just below metro La Chapelle.
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:39 AM
tod

Noe847 - I'm in the fabric business so last year I went and had a look inside Marche`St Pierre to see what stock they carried. Just as I intered the door I noticed a wonderful display of African print fabrics. I didn't want to buy any so didn't make any inquiries about their origin - could well have been from China for all I know.
I did take some photos but the one of the display is not too clear as I had two ladies standing in front of me: (Sorry you will have to go through the others too until you see the outside of Marche` Saint-Pierre);
http://tinyurl.com/69go8l
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:45 AM
tod

Not last year! Year before, in 2008.
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies and helpful info. Loved your Paris pictures, tod, and the fabric is indeed pretty. I'm definitely interested in Indian prints this time around, so I'll aim for rue du Faubourg Saint Denis.
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:32 PM

Thrilled once again to see my apartment in your photos, tod!