Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Looking for Tuscany Villa, but a spectacular one,any suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/looking-for-tuscany-villa-but-a-spectacular-one-any-suggestions-130590/)

Diane Jun 17th, 2001 10:47 AM

Looking for Tuscany Villa, but a spectacular one,any suggestions?

3 Couples for next year would like to do a Tuscany villa near Florence. I know there are many to choose from but thought someone may have stayed recently in one really beautiful. Thanks.

Ed Spiers Jun 23rd, 2001 06:53 AM

We are renting a villa for one week outside of Lucca from sept 1 to the 8th through Villas internatonal in San Rafael, Cal. Be warned though, it will be expensive! We will have 12 people, so it won't be quite so expensive per person. Try their website villasintl.com. They seem reputable, been in business a while. My sister, who lives in Cal is doing the leg work.

Joe Jun 23rd, 2001 12:29 PM

You are wise to look early. You will have a greater chance to find what you want. Tuscany Now (tuscanynow.com) will send you a marvelous 100 page booklet of Villa after Villa in all parts of Italy with great pictures and good descriptions. We were not smart enough to start so early (thought seven months would be fine) so we had a hard time. We were six adults, my wife and I, two single daughters and my oldest daughter with her husband. In order to get the facilities we wanted at that "late date", we contacted at least 20 Villa Rental Agencies, all the ones you commonly see on this board without success. Finally, Tuscany Now got a new listing, Il Limoni, 12K from Lucca. We were forty minutes by freeway from Florence. The place was bigger than we needed and very expensive. But, (and this is the good news) it was delightful. The building had six bedrooms, four and a half baths, it was built in the 1500s and was very origninal with frescoes on the walls of the dinning room, great room, entry hall and hallways. Each of the three floors had a central great hall. It was beautifully decorated with several "escape rooms" for anyone that needed time alone. We were on a hill (what else) with a beautiful view of the Tuscan Valley toward Lucca. The lights from Lucca at night were wonderful. The kitchen was very authenticly 1500s with appliance upgrades. There was a table in the kitchen where we took breakfast. There was a large table outside with umbrella and easy access to the kitchen. And again, those lights from Lucca at night.<BR>Tuscany Now was great. Took a real personal responsibility for making everything the way we wantd. We arranged for a cook the first evening since we were arriving about six PM. We gave some basic instructions and then told them to use local ingredients to prepare an antipasti, a primi, a secondi, and then dessert. The dinner was marvelous. We asked them to layin some local wines and stock the refrigerator for the first breakfast which wss Sunday morning. The Caretaker who stayed in the caretakers house out of site from the villa was very responsive to our needs and was good for advise and directions. He spoke pretty good English. We had a marvelous time. And, while we paid for more than we neede, looking back, I wouldn't change anything. Wonderful week before we went on to two more weeks touring. Tuscany Now is a great organization. You will have a great time.

Betsy Jun 23rd, 2001 02:55 PM

Diane<BR><BR>Go to http://www.cohenkenny.com and click on Italy. This is a noncommercial site that offers reviews of villas in Italy (among other things). Explore the site for an education about how to go about renting one.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio

ellen Jun 23rd, 2001 05:23 PM

We were pleased with a rental we arranged through Vacanze in Italia. Go to their website at www.homeabroad.com and you can order a catalog.

Bob Henderson Jun 27th, 2001 06:58 AM

Two other couples, my wife and I stayed at Villa La Chiusa outside Lucca the first week of May. It was wonderful. Luisa, the owner/host is delightful. Chef Alberto will come to cook dinner if you wish. We rented through ww.tuscanhouse.com and were pleased with all arrangements. Enjoy your visit!

Gloria Jun 27th, 2001 11:13 AM

If you are looking for something wonderful I suggest the Pallazo Antellesi on the Piazza Santa Croce within walking distance of most sights in Florence. The apartments are spectacular. Can contact the owners son in New York for complete info at 212-932-3480 or FAX 212-932-9039. The Pallazo is mentioned in a number of guide books but it goes under a couple of other names at times. We will be there in September.

Gar Jun 27th, 2001 10:30 PM

hi there,<BR>take a look at www.interchalet.com<BR>Lot of villas, nice prices.

Diane Jun 30th, 2001 11:01 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions. I'll be checking them all.<BR><BR>

Peggy Jun 30th, 2001 03:09 PM

Several families recommended the following and our family is going in 2 weeks. (actually 20 family memembers!)<BR><BR>www.domaini-usa.com<BR>Under Florence and the name is Il Conventino (south of Florence in the Chianti district)

Sherry Jul 1st, 2001 04:25 AM

If you are looking for spectacular, try [email protected].<BR>First read about this agency in Wine Spectator Magazine and actually stayed in one of their properties. But bring your pocket book.<BR>