Search

Looking for travel advice for a trip to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for travel advice for a trip to Europe

Hello there!

I'm planning to travel to Europe for 10 days in the end of this month with two friends of mine.

The original plan is doing a "triangle" that includes Munich, Salzburg and Innsbruck, and then going back to Munich.

Since we're going to have time to spend for detours, I'd be happy to hear what other places you would recommend to visit (we don't have any particular preferences, just cool places to see and walk in). We will travel by cars, so longer detour ideas are welcome as well.

Thank you!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Neuschwannstein (sp?), Kremsmunster Abbey, Wilhering Abbey--the last two for low and high Baroque religious architecture. The Micheling Green Guides for the area and a map might be the best way to decide on your detours. Michelin has suggested itineraries according to the number of days of travel.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 07:57 AM

Munich to Salzburg - stop by Herrenchiemsee, a Mad Ludwig fantasy castle called the Bavarian Versailles because it is copied from Versailles - lovingly on an island in the Chiemsee (boats go from Prien, smack on the road between Munich and Salzburg

Salzburg a few days - can drive into the nearby Sound of Music Country around St Wolfgang and Lake Wolfgang - lots of neat towns and great scenery there

drive to Innsbruck via Zell an See, cutesy resort town on lake surrounded by mountains and Kitzbuhel, premier ski resort

Innsbruck head via Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Fussen and Mad Ludwig's famed Neuschwanstein Castle, return to Munich

Now that is a bit ambitious in 10 days so tailor to time you want to spend in Munich, Salzburg and Innsbruck
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Palanque - very nice post.

I am just starting to plan a 10 day trip to Bavaria myself.

I am wondering how many days you allot for the actual cities: 1)Munich, 2)Salzburg, and 3)Innsbruck (or is Garmisch-Partenkirchen a better "third base"?). And still do day trips?
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 08:47 AM

I have never been incrediby impressed with Innsbruck and I think you could omit it from your itinerary without losing much if you spend time around Salzburg and in the Bavarian alps

In nice weather, the trip to the top of the Zugspitze or WEndelstein is spectacular
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 09:33 AM

One hour south of Innsbruck is the Dolomites!! I am glad I listened to the advice of many on this forum and made my way to Val Gardena, staying in Ortisei. Just beautiful!!

I would spend little time in Innsbruck (you can even walk around the town for a day) and then head to the Dolomites.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM

I agree that Innsbruck is worth only a few hours but I would recommend not going all the way to the Dolomites when the beautiful Zillertal and Stubaital valleys are so much closer.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful replies!

We do want to pack as much things as comfortably possible in this trip...
I made myself a list of the places you mentioned. Will see in google earth how to combine them (or some of them) in our route.

Thank you again!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Your original itinerary seemed to concentrate on sightseeing in the Alps, but there are many other good day trips from Munich a little farther north in Bavaria. If you like good beer, you could try Kloster Andechs on the Amersee. Landshut is a beautiful town. I used to live in Eichstätt in the Altmuhl Valley and this is another very interesting area well-known to German tourists but not visited by many Americans
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 07:34 AM

bardo - though talk about how much time to spend in any city depends on what one is interested in - for example Munich has some of Europe's most prestigous art museums - but here's my take:

Munich is much bigger than Salzburg or Innsbruck and has more varied things to do - like Dachau in the suburbs that would take a half a day - or the new BMW museum, Olympic Grounds, Schloss Nymphenburg (sp?) plus the city centre - i'd say 3 days there for the average person

Salzburg is compact so one day could be fine but again if you love old churches and classical music concerts you could spend days there - but most main sights are within a compact walkable area of a few square miles or so. But again there are things nearby like at Hallein the Salt Mine tours where you take a sled down a chute, etc.

Innsburck is also compact and like many say above disappoints some - i have never gone ape over Innsbruck but would certainly spend a few days here - one day for the town itself and one day to take the mountain tram up to Igls, in the hills south of town - venue of 1960 Winter Olympics - the ski jump, etc all in a bucolic Alpine setting - stopping en route at the Schloss Amberg (can't think if this is correct name or not) - nestled in at the foot of the hills

so i myself would consider 3 days Munich and 2 in the other places - which would really be a day and a half considering the day you arrive being a half day or so.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 07:50 AM

p, thank you - that's exactly the kind of detail I was seeking.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM

Rather than recommend a 'place', drive the Grossglockener Pass south of Salzburg on the way to Innsbruck. You can spend the best part of a day doing it. Stunning driving and even more stunning scenery. Choose a clear day. It gets closed in bad weather. About 28 euros if I remember correctly. Worth every cent.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 08:09 AM

stf makes a good suggestion and in any case unless really strapped for time do not take the fastest route between Salzburg and Innsbruck, which would go via Germany but the all in Austria route at least - winding thru lovely Alpine valleys via Zell and Kitzbuhel and if enough time doing the awesome Grossglockener Pass route as well.

folks going by train will find it an hour quicker to go via Germany between Salzburg and Innsbruck - the so-called Corridor Route - Austrian trains running thru a German corridor - but the route via Zell and Kitsbuhel is infinitely more scenic - again thru river valleys hemmed in by Alps