Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Looking for the ideal week-long add-on after Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/looking-for-the-ideal-week-long-add-on-after-amsterdam-896372/)

Dave_Ohio Jun 25th, 2011 11:35 AM

Looking for the ideal week-long add-on after Amsterdam

After a river cruise of Holland and Belgium that ends up in Amsterdam at the beginning of April, 2012, my wife and I wish to extend our holiday by a week or so. We are retired, mid-60's/upper 50's. We have previously visited Rome, Venice, Florence, Madrid, Andalusia, London, and Ireland, and recently returned from a trip through the Rhone Valley and Paris. We have wanted to see Barcelona and are considering staying there for much if not all of that time, including a couple of day trips, etc.

We would like your comments on whether this warrants a full week, what additional sights we might include, or suggestions of an alternative destination within about 2 hrs (by air) of Amsterdam to which a visit might be more worthy.

qwovadis Jun 25th, 2011 11:50 AM

seat61.com

personally might train down to Barcelona

via the Atlantic Coast and Basque country

It is a very nice ride lots of nice stops

eurocheapo.com great city guide for Barcelona

I like it a lot usually get great deals Otel.com

betterbidding.com Eurostarat the cruise port

Marriotts super nice there also

Costa Brava Dali Museum Sitges nice day trips.

Baleric islands possible also.

Have fun,

stephh Jun 25th, 2011 11:52 AM

Barcelona is my favorite European city. You can easily spend a week there. There are many day trips to be taken as well--Montserrat, Sitges, to the coastline or to the mountains.

hetismij Jun 25th, 2011 12:22 PM

Hire a car and explore the rest of the Netherlands, or maybe the German North Sea coast.

Aramis Jun 25th, 2011 12:23 PM

Your list of previous countries visited doesn't show anything in Germany - you' re right next door.

Berlin, Dresden, Prague, The Harz mountains are all much closer than Barcelona.

Your 2 hour flight limit will get you all the way to Warsaw, Vienna, or Stockholm, too.

Gardyloo Jun 25th, 2011 12:55 PM

It will be at the beginning of April, so I'd probably steer clear of Germany, the Basque country etc. and look for some sunnier location.

Barcelona sounds good, but I'd expand it to include more of Catalunya, including some of the French bits. Or, the Alentejo region of Portugal can be gorgeous around then - a couple of hours of driving =-O from Lisbon can get you to Evora and surrounds.

Or what about the Riveria? One can have quite a good time around Monaco/Menton for a few days.

Aramis Jun 25th, 2011 04:57 PM

So they should skip the Netherlands and Belgium portion, too?

Dave_Ohio Jun 25th, 2011 09:33 PM

@Aramis: that part is booked already, lol!

hetismij Jun 26th, 2011 12:23 AM

It can be very sunny, and warm in April in the Netherlands - we had better weather in April than in June.
Seriously since you are in the Netherlands why not explore the north and east of the country, and maybe add some of the German coast?

Dukey1 Jun 26th, 2011 12:57 AM

I actually have been to all the locations mentioned and would enjoy returning to all of them for different reasons and yes, I would CERTAINLY consider Berlin, Prague, Dresden despite their lattitude in April.

What we DON'T know is what sort of place/activities you are PRIMARILY interested in. You mention Barcelona but you do not say why? If we knew THAT then we could possibly help determine which among the other suggested locations might be of greater interest.

BTW, Switzerland can be fabulous in April as well

ribeirasacra Jun 26th, 2011 05:15 AM

Stick with The Netherlands and or Belgium too. And please dont to the must dos there is so much more to see in the backwaters of these countries.

Aramis Jun 26th, 2011 12:24 PM

Maybe I should clarify - I was kidding with the skip Belgium and the Netherlands part. I thought using weather as a reason to advise you to steer clear of Germany and even the Basque region (??) was a little much.

Dave_Ohio Jun 27th, 2011 10:59 AM

@ Duekey1, et al.: We've been intrigued for some time to see the history, art and architecture in and around Barcelona, and also explore the region's food and wines, which are new to us. We will have been through Belgium & Netherlands for ten days, so guess we wouldn't mind a change of climate to boot.

Dave_Ohio Jun 27th, 2011 11:00 AM

Sorry: Dukey1

Dave_Ohio Jun 27th, 2011 04:00 PM

Now thinking of renting a car for a few days and driving to the Costa Brava, Cadaques, Figueres, Girona, etc. Take a train for a picnic in Montserrat as well. May extend the week by 1-2 days. Thank you, stephh and everyone!

Would appreciate any further comments or advice.