Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for Some Comparisons About Crime and Crowds in Prague, Krakow, and Budapest

Search

Looking for Some Comparisons About Crime and Crowds in Prague, Krakow, and Budapest

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:26 AM
jeg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My family has traveled to Europe several times in the past few years and we're considering a three week trip to Prague, Krakow, and Budapest in July. As part of my (obsessive) preparations when planning a trip, I try to read the State Dept. Consular Info. sheets and all the "safety" sections in guidebooks. I've now read a LOT about pickpocketing, thefts, and rip-offs in these cities and I'm trying to put it into context. I grew up in N.Y.C., so I'm aware of typical city "hazards". We also traveled to Rome, for which there are numerous warnings about "petty" crimes. Is crime in these three cities truly a noteworthy problem or is it no more than would be expected in places like NY or Rome?
Also, several friends have told me that Prague would be "too crowded" in the summer; that it would be unenjoyable. We went to Florence in the summer and that was packed with Americans. As I mentioned earlier, I'm used to NY crowds. Is the crowdedness comparable or truly an atmosphere-ruining situation?
Thanks for your help. My guesses are that everything will be fine, but I'm just trying to make some comparisons.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:08 AM

I can't answer for Krakow, as I haven't been there, but felt perfectly safe in both Prague and Budapest, even wandering round backstreets at night. Like any city, beware of pickpockets in crowds but I wouldn't say there was any more risk of that than city.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:23 AM

A friend of mine had her purse slashed and lost her wallet and all her documents when we were in Prague. And there were numerous "gypsy" beggars in Krakow: groups of women with the cardboard pushed into your stomach routine, mobs of little boys, and the mother holding the "baby" (doll) that she attempted to toss at various women. But nothing out of the ordinary or really frightening. Just be careful.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:04 AM

Sometimes I think people that don;t live in big cities are overfaced by them - and think its the particular city that is scaring them or europe - when in fact they're just not used to a big city atmosphere.

If you're from NYC I can;t imagine any city in europe that would be a concern - either in terms of crime or crowdedness (Prague is nothing as compared to Macy's the week before Christmas - or those summer lunch hours on Fifth Avenue when the entire pavement is a sea of bobbing heads with not a spot of sidewalk to be seen).
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:29 PM

I've been to all of them and the crime is not notably different than other major capital cities. I did not actually encounter any of these mobs of gypsy women and boys in Krakow, and I was there about five days in the Old Town and surrounding areas, not that long ago. I think to some extent, you can make yourself a target, unfortunately, and they zero in on certain people. I ignore beggars like that in all cities and don't have anything to do with them, I won't even stop for them or give them eye contact. I saw the most in Madrid, actually.

Prague is one of the most popular tourist cities in Europe now, and has more tourists in summer, as many do. It is not more packed than any of those popular cities in Europe, though.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM

As I have already mentioned in another forum, my husband had his passport case lifted on Regent Street in London!! We were in Prague last Sept., and had no problem. I watched my purse and we were aware of any potential pickpockets at all times..especially when the crowd gathered to watch the changing of the clock. My suggestion to you is to make a copy of your passport's first two pages and carry along extra pics. Another thing that you might do is purchase a thingy that holds your passport and some $ and it hangs around your neck on the inside of your clothes. My husband has one that he wears on his leg under his pants. It works beautifully and he's worn it for years. You'll love Prague and Budapest (don't know Krakow)--we've been to both cities a few times.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:40 PM

We were in Krakow and Budapest for four days each in the fall of 2003 and did not experience or see any problems such as you describe or Kamahinaohoku saw. We live in a small town so if we were not intimidated I can't imagine you'd be with a NYC background.

I can't speak to Prague but Krakow and Budapest are each great places to visit. Go and have fun.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:43 PM
jeg
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. I received the encouraging responses I had hoped for. I'm sure I'll have more questions as the preparations progress!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:16 PM

<Prague is not nearly as crowded as Macy's during the week before Christmas> Sweetie, you have obviously never been on Charles Bridge on a Saturday afternoon in July.

I didn't have any problem in Prague. However, my mother's friend, Kay, had her purse nicked on Charles Bridge. She was wearing it across her body, but the perp cut the strap with a knife.

If you are in Prague Metro, watch yourself as you come up the escalator. A lady's purse or a man's wallet would be right in the face of the person behind them.

You have to be careful anytime you travel. It doesn't matter what city you are in.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:43 AM

I couldn't agree more, nytraveler. I have lived in London, San Francisco, Manhattan, and Philadelphia. I can't imagine someone coming from New York City being obsessed over crime in Prague!!!

You can be robbed anywhere, even in Mayberry, RFD.

Take ordinary precautions. The only VERY crowded place in Prague is the Charles Bridge area. I would watch my wallet/purse here, and also on the Metro.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Thingorjus -

Yes - I have! Have you ever been on the ground floor of Macy's the week before Christmas? I won;t go by myself - only with a large male who can use his elbows to push thrugh the crowd - otherwise you'll just stand there not moving at all. (My favorite part is the escalator "facilitators" who pull slow movers out of the way so the folowing people don;t trip over them.)
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 09:57 AM

We were in Prague and Budapest last fall for ten days, and never caught a whiff of danger anywhere. We traveled on streetcars and the subway extensively, and always felt safe. I try to "blend in" and not look like a gawky tourist, though. Maybe this helps. Also, we never had a problem with the check at restaurants.

Prague was indeed crowded with European tourists when we were there the first weekend in November (which was probably the All Saints holiday in several European countries). It was unpleasant at times, since there were long lines waiting to enter some tourist sites (like the important churches) and we gave up waiting a few times. I was physically pushed out of the way by a Japanese tourist on the Charles Bridge when I unwittingly walked in the way of a group picture being taken on a timer. Other than this, the crowds couldn't do much to diminish my enjoyment of this gorgeous city. We were so in love with the Castle and the area to the west of it, that we ended up there on each of the three days of our stay. Saw lots of other parts of town, too. Prague and Budapest are quite compact compared to American cities and with the extensive streetcar system, easy and enjoyable to get around in. (Budapest's streetcars run constantly, whereas Prague's are not as frequent.)

I just noticed a new article on Budapest in National Geographic Traveler magazine, April issue. Have fun!