Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Looking for reviews (good or bad) for Chez Gu et Fils in Aix-en-Provence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/looking-for-reviews-good-or-bad-for-chez-gu-et-fils-in-aix-en-provence-736258/)

dlb716 Sep 13th, 2007 11:53 AM

Looking for reviews (good or bad) for Chez Gu et Fils in Aix-en-Provence

Good afternoon all!

After searching the Fodor's board for Chez Gu et Fils in Aix and finding nothing, I was wondering if anyone out there has eaten at this particular restaurant. I happened to come across a hit on the internet on a restaurant review site, but there were no comments. I leave for France on Wednesday, October 3 and would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,
Donna

KayF Sep 13th, 2007 12:40 PM

You could look on the Slow Travel website, they have regulars who know that area well www.slowtrav.com

Or try the Virtual Tourist or Trip Advisor sites, they might mention it.
Kay

tower Sep 13th, 2007 02:44 PM

Chez Gu received quite a bit of notoriety from Peter Mayles "My Year in Provence"..it coincided with one of our winter-time visits to Provence in '94..it was a fun place, with the owner strutting around in a handlebar mustache as Mayle had described. The food for lunch was excellent, hearty and fit-to-order on a snowy (yes, snowy) day. We went back a few days later. Very reasonable at the time when the the FFranc was 7or8-1.

Stu T.

ira Sep 14th, 2007 05:32 AM

>Very reasonable at the time when the the FFranc was 7or8-1.

It is now 4.5 - 1. :)

tower Sep 14th, 2007 07:12 AM

Thanks, Ive never bothered to calculate today's equivalence with the Euro at 1.38. I recall the FF at 10-1 in the 80's. Them golden days is gone forever.

Stu T.

dlb716 Sep 14th, 2007 08:17 AM

Thank you all for your comments. Looks like hubby and I will be having lunch at Chez Gu et Fils while we visit Aix!

2 weeks, five days, 4 hours, 44 minutes until take-off :)

Am I excited? Oh yeah!

ira Sep 14th, 2007 08:26 AM

Hey Stu,

>I recall the FF at 10-1 in the 80's. Them golden days is gone forever.

Between the wars, you could live very nicely in Paris on $500 a year.

Just comparing the change in CPI, that would be $5000 today.

Them days is definitely gone. :)

((I))

tower Sep 14th, 2007 01:35 PM

>>>Them days is definitely gone. <<<

much to our collective chagrin...how 'bout the UK?? Now two bucks per pound! Past spring visit to China was embarrasingly cheapo..Japan, another story entirely. What's the exchange rate in Madison these days?

stu T.

tower Sep 14th, 2007 01:41 PM

dlb:

Dunno if you have a hotel in AenP as yet...but we found the Four Dolphins (Quatre Dauphins) in Four Dolphin Square to be very reasonable and well-located. We liked it. Be sure to visit Cezanne's Atelier...

Stu T.

Christina Sep 14th, 2007 01:54 PM

I think the franc was only 10 to 1 for a very short time in one year in the 80s. It wasn't like that most of the decade, it was about half that or less in the very early 80s and also only around 5.5F to the USD in the late 80s.

tower Sep 15th, 2007 08:03 AM

we lucked out, when it was 10-1 on two of our visits during the 80's..that's also when the dollar vs. lira was very comfortable. As I say, them days is gone forevere and forever.
\
stu t.