Driving from Prague to Seiggen,Germany

Old Jun 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Prague to Seiggen,Germany

What type of roads would we encounnter if driving from Prague to Seiffen, Germany, highways or "local" roads. well marked or not? We have never driven overseas and are unsure what we will encounter while driving through the mountains. Is there any problem with taking a rental car from one country to the next? Any recommendations for rental car companys in that area? We would be going in early December.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

I know, I know, I spelled Seiffen wrong in the header!
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 06:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
You will most likely incur a large drop fee for picking up in one country and dropping in another country... typically don't have that issue with one-way rentals within the same country. So, if there is somewhere near the CZ border that you can drop the car, then another close in Germany to pick up another car, that would be recommended. Depending on the mileage difference between the two towns, you could take a train, bus or taxi.

Try kemwel.com or autoeurope.com. They are not rental car companies but consolidators. They are sister companies so if you find a good rate on one, the other will match it. I've always found the best rates on kemwel.com and all of my rentals through them have been with Europcar.

Most rentals in Europe are a manual transmission (which is much cheaper than an automatic). Make sure you know how to get into Reverse before leaving the rental agency. Also, verify with them whether your rental uses gasoline or diesel.

Sorry, can't help with the rest of your questions.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:59 AM

> Also, verify with them whether your rental uses gasoline or diesel.

...and try to get a diesel if you have any choice.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 03:17 AM

And make sure you know how to use gears, perhaps few lessons in your country might come handy.
This Seiffen - is this just across the border up from Litvinov?
The road is a reasonable country road,single carriage, but you might encounter snow in December. Make sure you know how to drive under these conditions.
And it is most likely that prague car hires will not allow drop off in Germany...just a thought.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 03:50 AM

In case you feel uncomfortable about driving, it is not necessary. Seiffen has regular bus connections either from Freiberg (easiest) or Olbernhau, where you connect to the train network. It can be done by public transport via Dresden-Freiberg or Dresden-Flöha-Olbernhau.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!! My husband is rather hesitant to drive thru the mountains in possibe bad weather. Is there a website that you lnow of that lists the times for the busses, connections, etc?Also, besides Seiffen, what towns on the bus lines have good hotels? We would like to stay over at least one night in order to see several locations in the Ore Mountain area.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 08:41 AM

Good old http://www.bahn.de will show you the connections. If you feel comfortable with a website in german there is also the one of the regional public transport network: http://www.vms.de

I accnot tell you about hotels because I visited all these places as day trips from Dresden. Freiberg seems most convenient as a base to me; the town should be big enough for decent hotels, is located on a major train line and has direct buses to Seiffen. Besides, the town is a worthwhile destination in itself, in former times it was the richest city in the area due to its silver mines and the traces of past glory show in the well-preserved old town, the splendid gothic cathedral, etc.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Your car will need a sticker when entering Chech Republic. There is a exit just before entering the country off the expressway that will sell you the ticket.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Freiberg is indeed a good option to stay. Not exactly in the mountains, though. But a very interesting/beautiful town.

If you want a nice hotel in Freiberg try this one:
www.hotel-kreller.de
A nice and centrally located B&B is this one:
www.blaue-blume.de

If you want to stay right in Seiffen then have a look at these hotels:
Wettiner Höhe http://www.travdo-hotels.de/panorama...ner-höhe/
Seiffener Hof www.seiffener-hof.de
Nussknackerbaude (cosy, family-run) www.nussknackerbaude.de

I.