Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

looking for recommendations for places to stay in the Pyrenees-Orientales

Old Jul 26th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to spend a week or so in France just over the border from Spain for a walking/eating vacation in late September/early October of this year. We'll be flying into Barcelona and renting a car to head into France.

We've been to the Aude and Ariege for similar trips and have always loved the food. The walks in the Ariege were fine, the Aude walks not so great. We've stayed in Audressein, Gincla, Montsegur, and Vives.

We are considering going to la Preste (up the road from Prats-de-Molio), Vernet-les-Bains (down the road from Prades), Llo (just south of Saillagouse), and Valceboliere (also in the Cerdagne). We've always had good luck using Michelin maps and guide books choosing places where 1/2 pension is between 50-80 euro per night per person. The place in Llo is a bit pricier at 120 for 1/2 P, but it looks great.

We're sure the food will be fine everywhere, but not as sure about the walking. We know it's toward the end of the season but don't really mind it if it's abit cold and even raining. We prefer our walks to be in the 5-6 hour range and we like to keep the elevation change to not much more than 1,000 meters (unless it's really easy walking). One specific question we have is about the walk up to the Pic Du Canigou. Could you give me an idea about the condition of the trail there.

Any recommendations on any of the above places or alternatives would be appreciated
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 09:19 AM

In addition to using Michelin, I've used the Logis de France website to check out possibilities. I especially like their map search feature

http://www.logishotels.com/en/map-search.html?goto=121

Sorry I can't help you with what walks you might like best!
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Is the place in Llo Hôtel Atalaya? The restaurant is excellent. Hôtel Planes in Sallagouse isn't bad either.
Both are a good choice as far as mountain hikes are concerned: Mount Puigmal from Err, Mount Cambre d'Aze, Mount Carlit from the Bouillouses Lake or the Lanoux (more difficult), Mount Peric also from the Bouillouses and Nuria in Spain.

The Canigou is easily accessible from Vernet-les-Bains. A jeep takes you to Refuge des Cortalets (which closes in September). The trail from the Refuge to the peak is not difficult.
La Preste and Vernet are fine but the hikes will be more limited (you can walk up to the Canigou from both but it is a very long trek and it is not doable in a day).
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good suggestions. We stayed in Prades at this b&b. www.castellrose-prades.com/ The people were lovely. Good French breakfast. Much to see and do, based in this location. A great 'Abbaye' to visit. Took us about 40 minutes to reach the Abbaye. Depends on your walking speed, as it is up a steep grade. Enjoyed talking to the Monk. Richard www.stmartinducanigou.org P.S. We receiver very good info from Pvoyaguuse two years ago--thanks again
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:24 AM

We stayed here http://www.pyreneesgitesfor2.com/ in the Orchard studio in May. Very nice. They also have another place nearby which is a bit more luxurious, but without a garden. You can see it on their website, and I believe now have a third, much bigger house in Caudies - http://www.gites.nl/Gite/Maison+Hirondelles/4810/ shows it on the Dutch site.

Peter and John are very helpful and very friendly.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Pvoyageuse, Yes the place in Llo is the Hotel Atalaya. We're also considering the Hotel Planes in Saillagouse. It's good to hear that either would be a good choice. Thanks for the other suggestions. Mount Puigmal from Err looks especially good, although getting up to 2900 meters in late September could be a problem. We have good boots and sticks but no mountain climbing skills. Snow and ice would be a problem for us.

Zeppole, Thanks for the tip on Logis de France. I have used their web site in the past and found it also helpful, but had forgotten about it.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM

I don't think you'll encounter snow and ice in September but you never know...
I only had lunch at Atalaya and Planes, both restaurants are good. Saillagouse is a bigger "town" than Llo.
There are lots of easy hikes (1 to 4 hours) around Font-Romeu. You'll find a very useful guidebook at the tourist office, it is called "Guide des sentiers de proximité autour de Font-Romeu", costs €4 and lists something like 30 different hikes.