Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for Map of Footpaths of Sorrentine Peninsula (Monti Lattari)

Mar 30th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Anita

Does anyone know of a source in the U.S. or by internet for a map of the footpaths of the Monti Lattari?

I've found a terrific website: www.madeinpositano.com/sentieri/welcome
but it is in Italian.

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:01 PM
xxx

Hi Anita. Seems to me with just a tad of Italian knowledge, you could decipher a map. Although I haven't gone to the website, wouldn't most of the words be place names that would be the same in English as in Italian? Most Italian maps will be in Italian.

If you want to translate a website, go to www.babelfish.com and put in the URL.

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Capo

Hi Anita. Can't help you with a map, but I remembed an article in the New York Times from last fall that you may be interested in reading. It's called "Treading Footpaths Fit for Gods" and the URL for the Times' premium archive (meaning you have to purchase it) listing is:

http://query.nytimes.com/search/abst...A90994D9404482

Mar 31st, 2002, 04:43 AM
Phil

Anita:

I bought a 1:50,000 scale hiking map of the Sorrentine peninsula from Kompass editions. It comes with a small quadrilingual Guide (English, Italian, French, German). It is very detailed and has the hiking paths outlined in red.

It is published by Kompass Karten in Austria and is available from amazon's German operation at www.amazon.de.

Just search in "books" using "kompass karte sorrent".

You could also order it from a travel bookstore quoting its ISBN: 3-85491-305-2.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip

Phil.

Mar 31st, 2002, 04:58 AM
Mari

Can't help with a map either, but here's someone who conducts walking tours of the area.

http://www.giovis.com/Egiovis.htm

Mar 31st, 2002, 08:18 AM
Anita

Thanks all. I will look into the info you've provided.

In answer to xxx's comments: Look at the web site. It requires more than a tad of Italian. I've used babelfish in the past, and I don't think it would be effective in this case.

Mar 31st, 2002, 09:38 AM
Sherry

Anita. I ordered a book by Julian Tippett from Proxis called "Landscapes of the Amalfi Coast" and it contains 75 walk segments of the Sorrentine Peninsula. Look it up on the website to see if this is what you are looking for. I couldn't find one locally and ordered it from the internet. Be aware that it took four weeks to reach me.

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:52 PM
Anita

Sherry, thanks so much. By your description, this book sounds perfect. Our trip isn't until October, but I'll look for this book immediately. Thanks again.

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:41 PM
Sherry

I ordered it because it has excursions by car. Also, very few books on the area delete Naples. We will not go to Naples on this trip and I wanted more information on the rest of the area. Really glad I could be of some help.
Even ordering it on the site , it was only about $15, so it wasn't expensive.

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:38 AM
don

I went to the madeinpositano website, and I think it says the "Sentiero degli Dei" is currently closed because of some sort of collapse. I can't tell when this news was placed on the website. I'll be in Positano next month and wanted to do some of these hikes. Does anyone know if the paths are closed at this time?

Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:52 AM
don

Anybody know if the Sentiero degli Dei is closed? The madeinpositano website talks about a "vistoso crollo, avvenuto sul M.S. Catello (S. Angelo a Tre Pizzi)", and I'm not sure what that means.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:03 PM
try this

Anita:

Whenever you pull up website in Italian, search for either an American or a British flag --- click on it & voila, the site is talking English.

http://www.madeinpositano.com/welcome_eng.html

Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:21 PM
don

That's generally true, but on this one, the page with the info on the Sentieri degli Dei is not available in the English version. Hence my question as to whether the paths are open because I'm not sure I'm reading the Italian correctly. Also, I don't know how old the information is -- maybe the paths were reopened but they didn't update the website.