Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for low cost flight between Paris and Israel

Feb 9th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

We are attending a wedding in Israel in September which will take place in the middle of our stay in Paris. Our flights to and from SFO-CDG are already ticketed, so we can't change to a multi-destination booking.

I have found a flight from CDG to TLV on Alitalia with a change of planes in Rome for $635 but would like to find something less expensive if possible. I've checked on whichbudget.com and a couple of other European discount sites, but no one seems to fly this route.

I'd appreciate any information if someone has done this in the recent past.
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM

The cheapest that we could find is $487 on MALEV. I found this through lessno.com. You didn't specify the dates that you wanted to travel, so I don't know how it would suit you. It also entail an overnight layover in Budapest. CSA has more convenient flights for $587.

Jack and Ann
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM

See if you can get better fares on Israir. We got good fares from London via Austria Airline and Swiss Air previously.

hAlso both Thomas Cook (charter flight) and bmi began flying between London (Luton for TC, Heathrow for bmi) to TLV.
Feb 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JackandAnn, I wasn't familiar with lessno.com. Unfortunately the fares shown for my dates (Sept 17-22) are all over $1000 and Malev doesn't even turn up as a choice for me. On the Malev website I can find flights for E207, a great price, but as you mention, it either requires an overnight in Budapest or arrives in Tel Aviv after 3:00 AM. At my time of life I need my sleep. ;-) I'll keep looking, but thanks.

W9London, thank you for the mention of Israir, also unfamiliar to me. The search function on their website doesn't seem to be working; have you booked with them online? FYI, I am learning that there are many more flights to Israel from the UK and from Germany than from Paris.
Feb 9th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Thomsonfly has LTN-TLV cheap flights. Example: depart Tue, 09 Sep 08 and return Thu, 11 Sep 08 costs £339 (taxes incl) for 2. Of course you'd need to make your way to London first.
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM

I just checked www.harefares.com and it returned malev and air baltic (from CDG-TLV). I know you already tried malev but you could give air baltic a try. Good luck.
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM

On the Malev website I can find flights for E207, a great price, but as you mention, it either requires an overnight in Budapest or arrives in Tel Aviv after 3:00 AM. At my time of life I need my sleep.

Many flights into/out of TLV land or take off in the middle of the night. For your dates, a week before High Holy Days, I'd be surprised if you'll find any screaming bargains.
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:42 PM

Try
www.israirairlines.com
may help you as you want return flights.
I looked for my son but couldn't seem to get a one way fare option if coming FROM Tel Aviv (possibly starting in June according to website?)
Looks like you could get out on the 17th but not back on 22nd at present?
Feb 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Try checking for flights from Tel Aviv back to Paris. Often it gives a few clues of which carrier will head to Paris.

AOG used to have a list of all of the flights within Europe. I guess it's charging for the service but maybe it's worth a check. This provides "Who Goes Where".

Good luck

Blackduff
Feb 9th, 2008, 10:23 PM

Mea Culpa
The book is called "OAG" and it's at this site.

http://www.oag.com/oag/website/com/en/Home/

Check it out and maybe try their trial service.

Hope this helps.

Blackduff
Feb 10th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Blackduff. The OAG site is helpful. I found a Swiss flight that's no cheaper but has more convenient times than the Alitalia I was looking at.

ozgirl, I can't seem to get the search function on israir.com to work. It sounds like you were able to do it but there were no return flights on my date? Do you recall the price of a R/T from Paris to Tel Aviv?

kammie_joy, thanks for the link to harefares.com, another site that's new to me and has been bookmarked for future use. Unfortunately Baltic Air is also a middle of the night flight.
Feb 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM

shellio, it's not working for me either now!
It's showing no outgoing or returning flights for those dates at all.
Maybe they are loading new data or something?
Sorry, can't help more.
Feb 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Shellio
The flights coming and going late in the middle of the night is to keep terrorists trying to send guns or missles at the planes.

When you're in the Tel Aviv area, have a look at the planes arrive. The logo lights on the tail are not illuminated. Security!

Yet, it's a beautiful city.

Blackduff
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help everyone. I've decided to bite the bullet and fly Swiss, with a connection in Zurich. It arrives at 2:30 pm in Tel Aviv, which will give us plenty of time to get to Haifa and relax before the wedding the next day, and the return flight leaves in the afternoon, so no mad rush in the middle of the night to make a 5:00 am flight.

I understand there is now a train from Haifa directly to the airport. Can anyone tell me about that? I'll post on the Middle East board, but you all seem so knowledgeable I thought I'd ask here. I recall taking a train from Tel Aviv to Haifa on my first visit to Israel nearly 40 years ago; the more things change...