Looking for information on day trips in Piemonte and on the Ligurian Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'd like to spend the beginning part of our 10 days in Italy this September exploring the Ligurian coast. Does anyone have recommendations for interesting day trips along the coast? We're not overly interested in major cities, more into good walking trails, beautiful scenery and intersting experiences.

From there we will be heading to Piemonte, staying at a B&B in Nizza Monferrato for a 3-4 days. If anyone has recommendations for mini trips in that area also, I would love to hear them!

Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Hi when in the Piedmont make sure to take a day trip to Asti and Alba. I would also plan to visit some of the hill towns. The area around Barolo and La Mora is beautiful. On the Coast a trip to Portofino or the Cinque Terra towns would be my choice.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Yup, Asti and Alba are part of the plan but hadn't thought of Barolo or La Mora, thanks for the suggestion!

Does anyone know if there are any festivals going on in the area that time of year? Our trip is September 10 thru 20.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Are you asking about the stretch of Ligurian coast between Genova and France, or are you also interested in areas between Genova and Pisa?

On the seaside itself, the town of Cervo, in the province of Imperia, is really lovely. The beach town of Bordighera is very typical of a certain era of expat resort towns in Italy, and crossing over the French border to Menton for a French meal at the beach can be fun.

I don't car much for San Remo, and you'll find that many of the coastal towns on the Ligurian coast as you near Genoa (Cervo excepted) have a lot of development. On the other side of Genova, between Camogli and Portovenere, most towns are real beauty spots.

I think the entire province of Imperia has a lot to offer. You might try Googling for names like Apricale and Triora. There is an observatory near Apricale, up the hill in a town whose name (which begins with P) has just escaped me, but try a google search for "Liguria observatory Imperia" and you might luck out. Basing yourself in any of them would be a good base for hikes.

There are very old and wonderful towns built of stone (without mortar!) in the areas just to the west of Pieve de Teco, and the areas surrounding Cuneo.

There is something called "the old Roman Salt trail" which, if you google it on the 'net, may yield up links to well-established walking trails.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:21 PM

PS, goingtoitalia,

I'd post a lot of links for you instead of telling you to Google, but I'm in my house "in the country" (hah! New Jersey) and posting isn't easy right at this moment.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Nessundorma,

We are looking at spending a night in Cervo and eating at Ristorante San Giorgio...I see that they have two rooms to rent out also...have you eaten or stayed there and if so, do you recommend it?? Any other suggestions for a place to stay??
Thanks...
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Actually we'd be interested in hearing about trips from the French border to Pisa! Probably overreaching abit, but I'd love to know what's there so we can pick and choose as the moment strikes us. We may actually spend a night in France, my boyfriend has a brother that lives in Nice and if he is in France in September we may just drive over for a day!

Enjoy your Jersey Country House!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:53 PM

I absolutely recommend Giorgio's. i have eaten there and it was one of the highlights of my trip in that part of Liguria. The food is sublime and the service is welcomin and helpful.. You do know it's a bit pricey, yes? It's not stratospheric, but it is pricier than an ordinary trattoria.

I didn't stay in the rooms at San Giorgio, however. I stayed overnight in Cervo in an extremely charming apartment with a sea view that is rented by the restaurant La Serafina -- whose restaurant I didn't like as much but which has a lovely terrace for a drinks. I was there in Sept-Oct, and I simply arrived in Cervo, followed the signs to the restaurant Serafina, and asked if they could rent me a room. I'm sorry I can't find a link for it.

But if you can fax ahead to Giorgio's and reserve a room, I would try that. You will probably get a very clean, quiet and basic double (with tiny private bath and a flimsy hair dryer) at a relatively cheap price.

Opposite San Giorgio is a hotel called "Bellavista" if you can't book directly with Giorgio.

http://www.emmeti.it/Welcome/Liguria...avista.uk.html

As for towns on the "other" side of Genova, I recommend Camogli for a lunch (Da Paolo if it's open) , but I actually recommend that you stick to the areas around the French border. Try a google search for Bussana Vechhio -- a town utterly destroyed by an earthquake and resurrected by contemporary artists. And don't neglect those Ligurian hill towns. They are quite a sight, perched precariously on the tippy-tops of hills.

By the way, I'm back to a better set-up with my computer, and the town I was thinking of is Perinaldo. (I just did a google search for it.) Might be a nice place to visit, have a lunch, park and set out for a walk.

But all this said, I found myself on a Sunday on the Liguriun coast scrambling for a place to eat lunch, since most restaurants are closed. I ended up in a place in Porto Maurizio by sheer accident and driven by hunger, and I had a fantastic meal of seafood and pasta. At the next tale was a collection of Italian grandmothers, each with their own tiny dog, to whom they kept slipping bites of pasta, cheese and shellfish under the table.

What I'm trying to say is that it is hard to go wrong in this area of Italy, which is very down to earth, unpretentious and has incredible olive oil. They even have a museum for olive oil in Moneglia.

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:54 PM

Sorry -- make that olive oil museum in Oneglia

http://www.museodellolivo.com/eng/index.htm

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:56 PM

PS Traviata,

The place where I stayed is SerafinO (not SerafinA)
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:58 AM

nessundorma,

Welcome back from your house in the country..hope you had a lovely weekend, and, of course, thank you for the info on Cervo...we will be there at the beginning of November, so I am hoping one of the recommended places will be available...many of the little "resort" areas close at that time, but San Giorgio doesn't sound seasonal....
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

What about Pisa? Is it worth a trip to see the tower?
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Pisa has curiously become one of the most underrated tourist destinations in Italy and seeing the CATHEDRAL along with the beautiful tower is quite a sight, especially on a sunny day.

That is quite a drive from the areas you have mentioned. You might make a day of it by stopping in Camogli for lunch, then heading down to Pisa (or stopping there on the way back for sunset and dinner).

Many people dislike Pisa once they get there because the beautiful monuments are ringed by these dreadful, dreadful tourist kiosks selling the tackiest stuff imaginable (boxer shorts with David's penis, kitchen towels and aprons with fat chefs yelling "Mamma mia!" ). And of course there are lots of tour buses. For years, I refused to go to Pisa despite my husband telling me I really should see it. I finally caved in and I was very taken aback at hour beautiful the monuments are.

I hope to go again, and if I do, I think I would pack a nice picnic to eat once I was there.

By the way, I should mention to you that one of the most beautiful walks in Italy is said to be the walk from Camogli to Portofino, but it is a serious and time consuming walk. It goes through the national park of Portofino in Italy. It would be a hefty day trip from where you are basing yourselves.

Traviata,

My "country house" sounds so grand! It isn't at all. I don't think San Giorgio is seasonal. I should have made in plainer in my earlier post that when I rented an apartment from Serafino, I only rented it for 2 nights, and I'm sure they would have rented it for one. I think they have 4 or more such apartments available. Mine was 90 euro for the night in mid-season. And although I said before that a room at Giorgio's was likely to be basic, it may be quite luxe. I don't know. But I can report that I have had terrific success staying overnight at "albergo ristorantes." The rooms are always very clean and comfortable, and a bargain.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:00 PM

goingtoitalia,

Is Pisa worth the trip??? Yes, especially if you can be there early in the morning before the tourists arrive and the day is a clear and sunny one...the Campo dei Miracoli is really stunning and so much more than the cliches you see of the tower itself...you don't need to spend much more time visiting the town proper if you don't have it to spare, but, the Campo is worth a stop...I have been several times and it still surprises me how impressed I always am....

Nessun,

Info is all printed and packed away for the fall trip..it is October 29th that we hope to be in Cervo..do you think reservations might be necessary at that time of year?? (P.S. This is not a "weather" question...)
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Would be OK with me if it was a weather question!

No, I don't think you need reservations in general in that area for late Oct., but if you have your heart set on staying in the restaurant San Giorgio, I would try to set that up and to make a reservation in advance, including a reservation for dinner. It is a destination restaurant, and who knows if weddings and honeymoons will blow through.

By the way, Traviata, did you know that "blue jeans" come from Genoa? A lot of Genovese emigrated to San Francisco and became fisherman there, and they all wore these blue pants made of tough material. It was so ubiquitous it was known as "blue genoveses." Levi Strauss got hold of the cloth and stiched into these inestructible pants he called "Blue Jeans." You can still the originals on all the fishermen in Camogli.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Well that's a fun fact! Tell us more!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:10 PM

nessun,

Good advice about San Giorgio.....Thank you...

Actually, I did know about the bluejeans, and about the "competing" Fabrique des Nimes..which became the word "denim"...and was also worn out west...I will surely look for the jeans in Camogli...one of my real pleasures was going to the harbor and waiting for the little fishing boats to come in...

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Traviata, what time do the fishermen come in at Camogli?

VS :-"
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:04 PM

viaggio,

Early, early in the morning...and very, very quickly in a storm....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -