Looking for Inexpensive Country To Visit

Aug 1st, 1999, 08:20 PM
Brian Leonard

Looking for Inexpensive Country To Visit

My wife & I have 100K Frequent flyer miles we have to use up so we're trying to find some place to travel to that's a terrrific bargain. We're looking for any suggestions people may have. Any countries in Europe or Central America are game.

Exotic would be great, interesting is essential but good value is king.

Aug 1st, 1999, 09:54 PM
Martha B

Try Turkey. (The country, not the fowl.) A little bit of it is in Europe. It also gets lots of European visitors, for good reason. It's cheap, exotic, but with European-style accommodations, friendly people, and interesting sights. The big drawback for Americans is the cost of getting there-- but in your case....

Aug 2nd, 1999, 12:42 AM
deepa

Try the Czech Republic. The only thing expensive is the accomodation in Prague but otherwise the food, theatre and souvineirs are realtively cheap. And it is beautiful.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 04:31 AM
Maira

Try Spain. You can get clean, comfortable, centric lodging for $25-35/night, and eat very inexpensive as well. As far as transportation, since your flight is already covered, rental cars are a bargain. Plenty of interesting places, wonderful people and very good road conditions. Let us know what you decide!!! Will be more than glad to answer any question you may have.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 04:49 AM
Kristin

If you haven't been to Prague, GO. It is a wonderful place. Undamaged by WWII the architecture is terrific. We were there in 97 and it was incredibly inexpensive -- including accommodations if you don't need American-style hotels. It has no doubt gone up somewhat, but I imagine it is still relatively inexpensive.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 07:31 AM
elvira

How about a Spain/Morocco combo: Spain is one of the less expensive countries of Europe, and Morocco is about 1/2 of that.

Also, consider the Canary Islands...

Aug 2nd, 1999, 08:12 AM
Jeanne

Costa Rica!! Hotel Costa Verde located Manuel Antonio Beach area great location next to the rainforest walking distance to beach wonderful eco-tours available and monkeys (they run around everywhere like squirrels here in the states ) Accomodations are seasonal April approx. 85.00usd per night tax rate 16.4% not bad. Check their website at www.gorp.com/costaverde.

If tropical doesn't do it for you, try Portugal staying in Lisbon a few days day trip to Nazare, Obidos, Sintra or overnight to Fatima, Vilamoura and Faro. Travel north to Porto it's wonderful. You have your choice of Hotels, Pousadas or Manor Houses.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 09:23 AM
Reader

What about Greece. We have been three times to different islands. In four and a half weeks we spent a total of $3800USD. Stayed in reasonably nice rooms; ate out mostly with the occasional picnic lunch at the beach; bottle of wine with dinner; includes initial flight to an island, and a return flight at the end of the trip. Skip Athens - too expensive. Have fun.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 09:30 AM
Jo

Definitely Czech Republic - and not just Prague either. Ceske Krumlov is a lovely little town. Greece cheap? I personally found it to be expensive. Maybe it depends which islands.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 10:14 AM
Sheila

My votes would go to Spain ( I had 6 days in the Pyrenees last summer for 64 (c$80) and that included 2 dinners) or Greece which can be done very cheaply

Aug 2nd, 1999, 10:21 AM
Cheryl Z.

My vote goes to Spain/Portugal
for an inexpensive vacation. Have not been to Prague etc, so not sure how costs compare.

Search this Thread