Looking for inexpensive "antiques" in Paris-no pedigree required

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have decorated our home in a combination of mid-century modern and mid-century "kitsch" decor. We love to shop at antique malls in the US, but try to find the places that sell a lot of old interesting stuff, rather than "antiques" with a "pedigree." I've read about the antiques flea markets in Paris, which sound pretty expensive. Does anyone know of a place or neighborhood in Paris to shop for interesting inexpensive old stuff for the home?
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 06:39 AM

I have no idea where to find anything cheap in Paris.

What you are looking for sounds like interior pieces to bric-a-brac rather than antiques.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Check out the Paris Flea Market thread in this Forum. There is inexpensive stuff out there. Have fun.

P.S. Help! How do you cut and paste a Thread URL?
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:50 AM

I agree with both posters LOL! There are no bargains in Paris, especially with the current exchange rate-- BUT the flea markets have all manner of "stuff"-both serious & "non-pedigreed.

To cut & paste a thread as a response to another thread-open the thread you want to copy. Right click on the title of the thread. Then Left click where it says copy shortcut. Then go back to where you want to put it & press CTRL & v at the same time. The thread URL will appear. When you click "post my reply" the URL will appear as a link. Voila!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:29 AM

Thank you mclaurie!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Try the Village St-Paul in the Marais. Many small "brocante" rather than antique shops. You might also try the flea market at Porte de Vanves in the southern part of the city, which is much smaller and easier to negotiate than the big markets at Clignancourt in the north and tends to have fewer "antique" items in the sense you're using the word.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 12:35 PM

Good luck on finding the shops in Village St Paul open when they are supposed to be! Been twice on days they were to be open and no luck. I thought it was just me but we were with Michael Osman on a tour the next day and he complained about the same thing!

I always go to Vanves and always find something ..this trip I found 6 beautiful old cut crystal knife reste 6 for 10E!