Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Looking for ideas on a new place to stay in Italy for 2 nights - between Venice and Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/looking-for-ideas-on-a-new-place-to-stay-in-italy-for-2-nights-between-venice-and-tuscany-689602/)

montysc Mar 20th, 2007 02:37 PM

Looking for ideas on a new place to stay in Italy for 2 nights - between Venice and Tuscany

We have a new trip planned for Italy at the end of April and May and we have everything planned excpet for 2 nights. So I was hoping for some ideas...

Our 2 nights are between already confirmed stays in Venice and Tuscany. We can Train or do a rental car as needed.

Also this is over the May 1 holiday so we were hoping to find a place with enough to do when things are closed - so our idea has been to find somewhere that is not directly in a major city since most shops, as I understand, might be closed.

We are open to almost anything - we don't want to go too far north, and would like to avoid overly crowded areas if we can (just leaving Venice!)

In the past we have stayed in the Como area, Parma, both southern & northern Tuscany, the Riviera, Cinque Terra...

On this trip we are already staying in Alba in Piemonte, Venice, and near Greve...

Our favorite places typically are the smaller towns with some good food and a mix of locals and tourist activities.

Thanks!

annhig Mar 20th, 2007 02:41 PM

hi, montysc,

if you're are prepared to drive how about Lake Garda? [check that the boats are running on May 1]

it's en route to tuscany, and very relaxing. Garda itself is a very interesting little town and the boats will take you up and down the lake.

or go to Maggiore and take a trip to the isola bella.

good luck!

regards, ann

montysc Mar 20th, 2007 02:45 PM

We have looked into Garda - we so far haven't found a town that looks good, I will check out Garda itself. Thanks!

We looked into Riva del Garda and it looks nice as well. There is a big mountain bike festival that is just finishing up in the area so it is going to be very busy. Plus from what I understand there is a huge influx of tourists for May Day on Garda so we thought it might be a bit crazy...

montysc Mar 20th, 2007 05:03 PM

So just to give an idea of some of the places we have thought about but need help deciding below is a list of places we have looked into - big list! Need better ideas!

Water Based:
Garda - already suggested above
Camogli
Portovenere
Rimini
Santa Margherita Ligure
Talamone
Porto S. Stefano

Bigger Cities:
Bologna
Verona

Westhighlander Mar 20th, 2007 07:04 PM

Bologna does it every time - fabulous city and almost right in the middle. Take the train.

packed Mar 20th, 2007 07:30 PM

Palazzo Astolfi is a pretty agriturismo in a small town near Rimini on the coast(south of Ravenna). Check out the review on Trip Advisor.

montysc Mar 20th, 2007 08:55 PM

Hello "packed" thank you for the recomendation

Does this agritourismo rent for only 2 nights - their website has no information on their rooms or rates at all. Also, I can't find an english version on tripadvisor, only 2 reviews on the spanish version...

montysc Mar 20th, 2007 09:08 PM

Does anyone know how many places will be closed on May 1 in a place like Bologna or Verona?

We want to be able to visit a deli like Tamburini and wonder if it would even be open on May 1?

That is why so far we have been trying to avoid the obvious cities on the way from Venice to Florence since most may be shut down on May 1...

annhig Mar 21st, 2007 01:23 AM

hi, again, monty

I'd have thought that you are more likely to find things open on difficult days like May 1st in large "obvious" touristy places than in small out of the way ones.

regards, ann

suec1 Mar 21st, 2007 06:04 AM

What about Lucca? the major attraction is really the huge fortified wall that runs around the city - it will be open May 1st as it actually never closes! You can walk around it or rent bikes - we stayed at the Ilaria Hotel - they had free bikes for guests. Lucca is a what I would call small city - not alot of tourists - good restaurants, I 'm sure some would be open May 1st.

montysc Mar 21st, 2007 08:48 AM

We looked into Lucca - it is a place we would like to visit, I am just not sure 2 days would be well spent there since we are staying 5 days in Greve just after...

We are looking at stopping there at least and having lunch on one of our days.

montysc Mar 21st, 2007 08:53 AM

Thanks everyone, and please keep the suggestions coming!

packed Mar 21st, 2007 08:36 PM

Maybe you are googling from the Google Italian site? www.palazzoastolfi.it is the website and the Trip Advisor page is http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...a_Romagna.html

Last Sept. the rate for two persons with breakfast was 100E which seemed to be good for a nice place.