Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for hotels or B&B's near open markets and cafes??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the planning process of our first trip to Paris, and I always start my research with accomodations. Everyime I see pictures of Paris, I immediately take notice of the open markets, bookstores and cafes lining the streets. I told my husband we should stay in those areas, or at least walking distant. He said as long as we are near trains/buses, he didnt care.

So I am looking for recommendations of places to stay near the markets and cafes, and train/bus stops. I would even like to stay in a more residential area, but near transportation.

Thanks
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Type rue Cler into the search box at the top of the page. Many posts from the archives will appear in the left-hand column of the page that comes up. Enjoy browsing.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 03:04 PM

There are markets and cafés all over Paris. Do a Google search for markets Paris and you should get a big list of all the markets. I wouldn't choose a hotel based on that, particularly as if you're REALLY close to a market it will be noisy starting very early in the morning.

Cafés are everywhere, too. Bookstores tend to be concentrated in the Latin Quarter but certainly not exclusively.

Anyway, I'd use different criteria for choosing a hotel.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 05:49 AM

Bonjour

If the Rue Cler market is of interest we stayed nearby at the Royal Phare Hotel - http://www.hotel-royalphare-paris.com.

Here is a link for info on the Rue Cler market - http://www.parismarkets.net/RueCler.html. Personally I thought it was boring and overated. But that is just my 10 cents worth....

Au revoir
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You can find what you want and be in central Paris too (no need to depend on "trains/buses" or more likely the Metro).

Latin Quarter has all you ask for and is a very busy lively area.

As suggested you might start with a list of the open markets by arrondisement. Cafes and bookstores are pretty easy to come by.

I think the 7th (as mentioned above with Rue Cler) sounds like what you are looking for.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 07:44 AM
MaureenB

You might like the Hotel la Bourdonnais in the 7th. We chose it this past June for our family of four and were very happy. It is in an upscale, more residential neighborhood, which we wanted for its more quiet attitude. And Rue Cler market is around the corner. Also a very nice fruit market on the corner, a 'grocery' store next door for staples, and close to the underground. The Eiffel Tower and Champs de Mars are about a block away, also Hotel les Invalides, and an easy walk to the Seine. Some rooms even have balcony views of the Eiffel Tower. Click on my screen name above and you can find my trip report from London-Paris-Amsterdam, with more details. Have fun!

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 07:52 AM

Personally, I don't think of rue Cler as being a market street at all. Some of the stores have outdoor components, it's true, but to me a market is a place where vendors drive trucks in, unload and set up for the morning or the day, then shut down, drive off, and leave.

There are *real* markets in the 7me, as well as in probably every arrondissement in Paris.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:11 AM

I suggest staying in the Latin Quarter. There are two street markets (on rue Mouffetard and rue Monge) near the Pantheon. You can easily walk over to St. Germain des Pres to visit the rue de Buci street market.

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 01:06 PM

I agree with "francophile3" that the market on Rue Mouffetard is a good street market. It, like most hotels, is close to metro stops, so you don't need to stay right there. As another post noted, being right by a market will mean lots of early morning noise.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 04:54 AM

I also prefer the Latin Quarter/Rue Mouffetard area. We were in an apartment however there are tons of hotels near there.

By the way, StCirq is right about markets in general. The problem is, you're staying at a hotel - so you probably don't need to buy lots of produce! Mouffetard and Rue Cler will give you everything you need - cafes, wine bars, internet points, take out food, drug stores, and some produce.