Reload this Page >

Looking for hotel feedback on these hotels in Florence, Lucca, and San Gimiagno

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 09:51 AM
Julia

Hi -- I have read the guidelbooks but am looking for personal expereinces and info about the hotel overall, rooms, and bathrooms at these hotels: <BR>Florence: <BR>Hotel David <BR>Hotel Casci <BR> <BR>Lucca: <BR>Hotel Puccini <BR> <BR>San Gimiagno Area: <BR>Casanova de Pescille <BR> <BR>We are travelling at the end of december. Thanks for your help !

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 01:57 PM
anne

We stayed at Piccolo Puccini in Lucca in May/June, and thoroughly enjoyed it - lovely room, great locations, friendly and helpful staff.

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 03:26 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Julia, I agree with the Puccini--a good <BR>location and very nice for the price. <BR>In Florence, the Casci is also a good <BR>value but is only a 2 star. Check out <BR>Morandi alla Crocetti for a better but <BR>more expensive option. The Casanova is <BR>a rural farm and a bit rough. We stayed <BR>there in "97 and Signoria Marisa speaks <BR>very little English---it is more of a <BR>farm B&B---but basically OK. If you want <BR>more of a hotel experience try the Hotel <BR>Pescille---about a mile away---for a nice rural setting but better rooms and <BR>amenities--and a great view of the town. <BR>Antico Pozzo is the cutest hotel in San <BR>G. but about $140 for a double.

Old Nov 11th, 1999, 07:11 AM
ann drury

Julia: <BR> <BR>Didn't see Casanova Pescille, but stayed at Hotel Pescille and absolutely loved it! It seems it has been newly renovated because it was very clean and had new amenities. It was $110/night (peak season), the rooms were huge ( whether in the front or back of hotel the views are incredible!), the best bathroom we had on our twelve day european trip. It had a nice size shower and emerald green tile floor - very large. The staff wasn't super friendly, but adequate. It is a great location - about 5 min drive to San G. and a 45 min drive to Volterra. Book it if you can!

Old Nov 11th, 1999, 02:01 PM
Patrick Ashton

Stayed at Puccini this summer in Lucca. We had been worried because it was by far the "cheapest" hotel we booked. Our room and bath were small, but charming and the hosts couldn't have been nicer. When I asked about a cyber cafe to access my email, they sat me down at the main desk and insisted I use their computer. <BR>Stayed four nights in San Gimangno (do any of us spell that right?) Had been worried about that because people kept telling us it was so touristy. We used it as a base and returned every night to those wonderful and very quiet town. The last day we returned earlier and discovered that it was indeed jammed with tourists -- one of those great towns that are best appreciated at night after the day trippers leave. Stayed on the square at the Leon which was wonderful, also there is the charming Hotel Cisterna (?) also on the square. Depends what you like, but we prefer the town locations at night, rather than being in the country. Prefer to visit the country during the day, when you can really appreciate it.

Old Nov 11th, 1999, 03:10 PM
Jolene

Julia: <BR> <BR>agree wholeheartedly with the previous posters about Hotel Puccini Piccolino. I arranged for my in-laws to stay there in August while my husband and I toured Tuscany. The rooms were small but clean and nicely decorated, the bathrooms were small but adequate. The staff was wonderful to deal with. I phoned several times to schedule meeting times, leave messages and they were courteous and helpful. I too was worried about the accomodations since their prices are so reasonable. It is a very good value. The only thing that was a problem in August was the heat and no a.c. in the rooms but they had fans available. Also, mosquitoes were a problem then too. These inconveniences won't be a problem in December, I'm assuming! Buon fortuna!

Old Nov 11th, 1999, 05:26 PM
Frank

We stayed at the Excelsior in Florence but only because I used a Mileage Plus half off coupon. It's expensive but after a few "other" hotels it was worth the experience. We were in Europe for three weeks and generally, the hotels were just fine...a little small though.

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 09:45 AM
Paul

Hi Julia, <BR> <BR>We stayed at Hotel Casci in Florence this past September. It's nothing special (as noted, a 2-star hotel), but it was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was included with the room. We paid roughly $100/night. The room was plenty big enough for two people, each with a suitcase. <BR> <BR>The best part about the Casci is the location - a block and a half from the Duomo, 2 blocks the other way to San Marco, 2 blocks to the Medici Chapels! I'd definately stay there again, and have no problem recommending it. They are on the web at http://www.hotelcasci.com.

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 03:19 PM
Sue

The Bel Sogiorno in San Gimignano is multo multo bene!

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 06:35 PM
Joanna

Agree that the Piccolo Hotel Puccini is very nice. The only problem was that the outside walls were very thin and we were kept awake by any noise on the streets (we had a corner room).

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 10:27 AM
Virginia

I agree with Paul. My family stayed at Hotel Casci last March, having found recommendations on this site. We had a huge room for the 5 of us, and it was very clean. Breakfast was included, and good. As mentioned, the absolute best thing is the location- so convenient to all the major sites. Staff was extremely helpful. Would definitely go back.