COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for fun family farmstay ) near Mattahorn or Italian/Swiss border

Old Jul 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

We are in Italy now and will go to Lake Como area soon. I would also like to add more of Switzerland to our family open ended world tour ( since 2006 ) and looking for a scenic fun farm stay somewhat near the border.

We travel on a tight budget so always like to find special places at great prices. We will probably rent a car for Lake Como and perhaps more of the Lake District area, but will also probably take trains for part of our excursion. We travel very light with just a day pack each, so very flexible.

We are keeping our RV on the Italian Riviera, so this will be a short trip that we want to maximize to see/experience the best possible in Switzerland in the shortest possible time ( since we will have double costs).

Ideas for a farm stay and a really beautiful "taste" of the best of Switzerland in a few days?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 05:28 AM

Hi WTnow,

Here's a link to one site, called "sleep in straw"

http://www.abenteuer-stroh.ch/en/default.asp

Hope it helps!

s
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Swandav2000. I actually have found that site, but so far find it absolutely impossible to navigate. Ergh. I'm not sure how much is the site and how much is my poor wifi here in Italy, but I can seem to get into other places fine like here. Sigh.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Hi again,

How far can you get?

Did you find the "english" button at the top? Then hit "offers"? Then look for "Valais" where the Matterhorn is.

There are three offers in that region.

There are four offers in the Ticino.

And, for something different, there are about ten in the Grisons (eastern Switzerland; get there on the Bernina Express from Tirano).

Good luck!

s
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:16 AM

ps, Might be worthwhile getting to an internet cafe for travel planning once a week or so --

s
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:28 AM

I can't get anything except the list of the farms either, no photos.. nothing. just an address where to write along with some symbols.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again swandav2000 I could get to the English part but that is all. I'll try some more. Thanks for the added info, that helps. I'm not set on a farm stay, just thought it would be fun and something a little different ( although we did stay on our friends..that we met online...farm last summer in Sweden).

I hate internet cafes so avoid them as much as we can. LOL. We've been to 4 continents, 29 countries & over 88,000 miles ( most over land) so far since 2006, so hasn't been a hindrance.

One way or another things always work out.

I just decided to add this, so it adds a little challenge, but usually someone I know on the internet can give me the added info I need. ( Just as I help them when I can with all of our experience).

People in the know are the best resources IMHO!
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

I'm on a Mac, perhaps that is the problem as the site just does not seem to like me.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:34 AM

I know quite a few families who enjoy this camping resort in Sion, Valais. They have furnished bungalows or tents you can rent. It's a great place for kids with a swimming pool and lots of fun things.

It's not a farm but maybe something you still might be interested in.

http://www.tcs.ch/main/de/home/touri...n.onglet1.html
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks schuler I appreciate that! We're in a wonderful nook now that is a small, fun campsite filled with Italian families and find them one of the best ways to connect with locals and European families. Most do have pools and lots of fun things for kids, so I will look into that one too!