Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for Feedback on Guesthouse in Amsterdam

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

I just booked a very nice looking room at what appears to be a very new guesthouse in Amsterdam. I can cancel if I find out it's not what I'm looking for, but it really looked interesting. It is the AMS Suites located at Elandsstraat,3 in the Jordaan area. Does anyone know anything about this place or the location?

I have never been to Amsterdam and we are only going to be there for 1 night so even if it's not too great, we could survive. The pictures look very nice, but one never knows. I will post a link from venere.com. I haven't been able to find any kind of a website for it and there are no reviews posted yet. Here is the link http://www.venere.com/guest-houses/a...se-ams-suites/ I booked a junior suite at 79 euro per night ($103).

I'd love some information, opinions, and advice. Thanks.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 02:28 AM

www.amssuites.com is their home page.
It looks very chic. I haven't found any reviews of it.
It isn't technically in the Jordaan but it is still well positioned. For one night, at that price I'd go for it.

If you have opted for with breakfast then you get a voucher to have breakfast at the www.vlaamschbroodhuys.nl around the corner. That isn't available on Sundays.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate your reply. What area would you call that? My one concern about location is as we are coming in by train and have a short time (1 night), how easy is it to get to and from that spot? We plan to walk as much as weather allows and want to do a couple of museums. We also want to leave our luggage at our lodgings on monday and then be able to pick it up and get back to the Central Station for the 19:00 train back to Paris.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 06:28 AM

It's easy to get to, and is just on the edge of the Jordaan. An ideal spot for most things.
Amsterdam is very walkable plus the trams and buses are frequent.

You should check with them that you can leave your luggage there after check out - they don't have a reception so I'm not sure where you would leave the bags.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Good idea. They seem to be so new; no feedback etc., I have been unable to find an email for them. I booked through venere.com. I will check with them. Thanks.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Actually, now that I read your first post I see that you included their website which I hadn't seen before. I will contact them directly, thanks again.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

hetismij: I have had email contact with the AMS Guestsuites and on that particular day they will be able to keep my suitcase, however my husband thought about using the lockers at the Centraal Station. That might be the better option for us. Have you or anyone else had experience with the lockers at the station?
The hotel also told us to use tram 17 to get to them as it was too far to walk from the station. I suppose in the winter with the cold weather I will appreciate doing that.