Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Looking for favorite Provence restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/looking-for-favorite-provence-restaurants-472425/)

justretired Sep 6th, 2004 11:31 AM

Looking for favorite Provence restaurants

Hello Fodorites,

I have been reading this site for several months, and have spent a great deal of time reading and then, cutting and pasting recommended restaurants throughout western Provence (including the Alpilles, the Luberon, and Vaucluse- the areas we are traveling to in France in a week and a half). I've been putting the information into a file that I plan on using while in Provence.

My file is quite lengthy. However, it is spotty at best. For example, I have lots of suggestions for St. Remy, complete with suggested menus, while other towns are almost neglected. I'd love more suggestions for the small villages and cities that we may find ourselves in as we travel about. Last year, in Spain, we found ourselves eating very mediocre meals, and this time, I'm trying to be better prepared.

So, I thought I'd write and ask those of you who are so inclined to write in and post your favorite resturants in Provence. Thanks so much in advance. If the file comes out decently, I'll be glad to share it as a thank you. (you will, however, have to wait until our return in October)

-Margret

Patrick Sep 6th, 2004 11:56 AM

Le Fornil in Bonnieux. Pretty well out front, looking just like the picture I had spotted and clipped from Travel and Leisure. Great food (we did a looooonnnnnngggggg lunch) in a wonderful sort of vaulted "cave" atmosphere.

Underhill Sep 6th, 2004 12:00 PM

Between Fontvielle and Maussane-les-Alpilles, the Bistrot du Paradou: reservations a must.

In Fontvielle, La Régalido.

Near Les Baux, Le Cabro d'Or (same ownership as the much pricier Oustau de Beaumanière).

Between Les Baux and St-Rémy, the restaurant at Domaine de Valmouriane.

Near Gordes (on a road that leads up from the route nationale), La Ferme de la Huppe.

PamSF Sep 7th, 2004 12:28 AM

Jumpin' in here..great Patrick. We are staying in Bonnieux,in part, to dine at Le Fournil. Le Ferme de la Huppe continues to show up on everyone's short list as does Regalido. We're anxiously awaiting our Ocotber trip to the South.

justretired Sep 7th, 2004 09:52 AM

I just realized that there was another thread on Provencial resturants. Sorry.

In looking at my file, which, actually also includes Lyon (lots of much appreciated stuff from Hanl), I've realized that the Vaucluse is thinly represented. Maybe that's becauase there are fewer resturants in that area. However, if you know of a special eating place there or anywhere else, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks again, Margret

elle Sep 7th, 2004 11:29 AM

For Vaucluse, in the Haute Ville of Vaison la Romaine, try La Fete en Provence. In the Bas Ville, Moulin A Huile.

There's another place not too far off the Autoroute with a fabulous wine selection. I'll have to ask my husband for the name and get back to you.

And in Gigondas, L'Oustalou. In Beaumes-de-Venise, Lou Cigalou.

Laidback Sep 7th, 2004 11:50 AM

We love Le Grand Pre (Patricia Wells favorite) in Roaix, a tiny village just south of Vaison La Romaine. In Vaison there is a good value restaurant called Le Brin d'Olivier. Gigondas is blessed with 3 good spots, Four au Chaux, Les Florets, and a more casual one right on the town sqare, L'Oustalet.