Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Looking for Driver to Go from Rome to Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/looking-for-driver-to-go-from-rome-to-venice-288888/)

SusanG Jan 21st, 2008 03:46 AM

Looking for Driver to Go from Rome to Venice

Good morning,

I will be arriving in Rome in the early AM and am considering hiring a driver to pick us up at the Rome airport and drive us to Venice. Last trip to Italy, this trip via train was horrible, after no sleep on the plane. I know it will be very expensive, but would like to find out about it. Does anyone know of a company (or a driver that does this?) Many thanks -
Susan

Grcxx3 Jan 21st, 2008 03:59 AM

Are you flying into Rome? If so - why not just fly to Venice?

kybourbon Jan 21st, 2008 04:57 AM

I've seen companies that provide Rome/Florence or Rome/Naples transfers (about 400e), but never Rome/Venice. It would be faster (and maybe cheaper) to fly since you will already be at the airport.
I've had good experience with Limo Service Rome for airport transfer in Rome. You could e-mail to see if they would do the transfer. I would think the price would be around 1000e. There are two companies with similar names. You want the one without an S after Service as the other is a copy cat company with poor service. www.limoservicerome.com

If you want a budget flight, you can fly from Rome CIA to Venice Treviso with RyanAir. It would involve an airport transfer in Rome and a transfer from Treviso to Venice. Both have bus shuttles available for the transfers or you could book a car service such as Limo Service Rome or Rome Shuttle Limousine.
For Rome - www.terravision.it

altamiro Jan 21st, 2008 08:27 AM

>If you want a budget flight, you can fly from Rome CIA to Venice Treviso with RyanAir.

There are also more civilized budget airlines like AirOne which actually fly from the main airports. If you were already in the city flying wouldn´t get you any advantage over the train, but since you are at the airport just recheck your bags for an AirOne (or similar) flight and go.

If you complain about the train after a long flight, the trip to Ciampino and so on will be really unbearable.

fella Apr 16th, 2008 03:48 AM

There's a company in Rome that provides customized travels.The site is http://www.romashuttleairport.it, but you should contact them by e-mail to have more information about Rome/Venice transfer

MFNYC Apr 16th, 2008 05:34 AM

That's a long drive. Definitely fly, it will be much quicker .

Steve_James Apr 16th, 2008 06:24 AM

Susan - I'd guess that would be € 600++

Put a cheque in the post and I'll take you ;)

Steve

mary90 Apr 18th, 2008 12:20 AM

Dear Susan,I have the same problem when I arrive in Italy with 3 children and maaaany suit cases !
I found a great solution with these transportation companies:
www.romashuttleairport.it
www.airporttransfer.it

They're nice and even speak english!
Good luck!

Valeam Apr 18th, 2008 12:50 AM

I don't know Romashuttle, but the second one Airportransfer could fit your needs. Actually I used it only for a trip from Rome to Bologna with the whole family. I bargained with Domenico, the owner, and had a little discount.
Good luck.

Valerio

Steve_James Apr 18th, 2008 01:08 AM

Ciao Mary - Ciao Valerio

As first-time posters you may not know, but Fodors has a no advertising policy on this forum.

ira Apr 18th, 2008 05:13 AM

Hi S,

If you plan to leave from Rome, wouldn't it be better for you to fly into Venice VCE or Milan MXP and out of FCO?

((I))

SusanG Apr 19th, 2008 01:31 PM

I was scrolling through posts today and saw this one and I thought "wow, I wanted to know that too!" Imagine my surprise to find out that this was my original post from Jan. Funny. Of course, after seeing everyone's earlier suggestions, my sister and I booked flights from DC to Paris, and from Paris directly into Venice. Of course...it was smarter!

Thanks for the all the suggestions however,
;) Susan