Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for cheap airfares from Detroit to Europe

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Marie

What websites/airlines should I be looking at???

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Marie

I'm sorry a little too hasty with my post, looking at flying into either Rome, Frankfort or London.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Jim Rosenberg

You should check the usual low-fare sites, but here's a tip: DTW is dominated by Northwest/KLM. You should extend your search to include originating your overseas flight from Chicago O'Hare (or any other large international hubs that you can get to CHEAPLY from DTW). It will make a world of difference in the fares you find. I've done very well with Northwest/KLM flights to Europe, but I jump on low fares when they pop up and that is generally not happening in high season.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Duke

Do you need a round trip? Most people that are able to actually escape and fly out of Detroit never return. One way may be more expensive for you but if you live in Detroit Europe will be great.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Book Chick

Hi Marie,
Ignore Duke.

Jim's advice is pretty good. You can usually get a cheap fare to Chicago (via Southwest Airlines) or New York (via Spirit Airlines) and fly to Europe from one of those cities to get a better fare. If you're going DTW to FCO, you'll have to change planes anyway; you might as well do it in America & perhaps save some money.

Happy Travels,
BC

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:40 AM
tania

Hi Marie,

One of the advantages to living in a border city is the choice of airports.

Living in Windsor, we often fly out of DTW, depending on which is cheaper. In August we fly out of Windsor to London: same price as Northwest + we used up some points. In December, we fly Spirit out of DTW to FLL: much cheaper than Air Canada through Toronto. In March, Northwest from DTW to Vegas using FF miles.

No-one can touch Travel Charter's prices to Aruba out of DTW, which we do every year. Too bad they don't fly to Europe anymore... Their prices were great and they left late at night, much easier to sleep..for me anyway.

I probably wasn't much help...but do check out Air Canada out of Windsor. With the difference between our currencies, you may strike a good deal at times...All the American plates in the parking lot at Windsor airport lead me to believe so...LOL...

Tania

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Lisa

Airfares have been pretty high lately to Europe out of Detroit. I agree with all the posters about trying out of Chicago or New York. Now I will probably get flamed for this, but a consolidator will be much cheaper. Only problem is most do not deal with the public. Yes, Im an agent, but Im not soliciting business, just trying to be helpful. I purchased my ticket to Dublin and out of London through a local consolidator a lot cheaper than what the airlines were running. As for the comment about Travel Charter, just an FYI they WERE a great company up until about 2 weeks ago, closed their office in Troy, Michigan, gave none of their employees notice. Supposedly restructuring, but I wouldn't be too comfortable booking, they may not be around much longer.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:04 PM
tania

Why am I not surprised about Travel Charter?

After Chernobyl in 1986, I know they had a tough time re-grouping because people were cancelling like crazy...I hope they can do it again...

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:41 PM
sicula

A couple of years ago our travel agent routed us from Detroit to Rome via Chicago. She was trying to save us a few bucks. It was an ungodly long flight for someone in their dotage and something I WOULD NEVER DO AGAIN unless the fare were free.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:04 PM
l'airone

A few years ago you were my age, and I am most certainly NOT in my dotage!!!!! But I agree, it can be torture to make a transatlantic trip any longer than it absolutely has to be, and while I'm a bit on the ...ahem...overly "thrifty" side, I think I would pay more to avoid having to spend extra time (and incurring extra risk of luggage not making it) for connections.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:20 PM
sicula

You bettcha Carol. My ancestors didn't even do steerage. So why start something.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:43 PM
Travel Girl

Duke,

you're right on the money! One-way-bat-outa-hell. My hinderances are: 1) a somewhat established business and 2) the dread of starting all over.

My experience with a consolidator was stinky. I had a trip planned to Paris last September, and as we all know, many trips were aborted after the incident. I got only 1/2 of the ticket refunded. I would not have saved any $ in the end over buying the ticket from Northwest - proper. Consolidators can be a rip-off after all the stupid fees are tacked onto the ticket price.

Also, I'd recommend travel insurance. The kind that covers trip delay/cancellation, although keep in mind they all "disclaim" acts of war and terrorism. Insurance companies are always eager to take your money, its the claims that can be a pain.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:18 PM
a--z

<

Today on CNN's site (money/business section) there's a good article on hunting for low fares.

http://money.cnn.com/2002/07/01/pf/saving/travel/web/index.htm

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Suanne

You could try discountflights.com. There is a fairly long-winded explanation of my VERY POSITIVE experience ($496 with taxes, etc. RT Washington DC to Athens for travel in October) in my post - it is titled "Rhodes, Mykonos, and Santorini trip advice" Good Luck!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Suanne

OK - it is actually called "Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens trip advice" and it is in the Greece Forum. Also - if Swiss flies from Detroit - they have a REALLY good 2 for 1 deal going right now. My parents booked directly through them and are paying maybe $550/pp (Washington - Rome).

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:49 PM
John

To speed your crusing for web sites for airfares, check out http://www.johnnyjet.com - impressive links service.