Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for Casaviere, Italy in the Lazio region

Old Oct 13th, 1997, 05:52 AM
Michele Rose

A group of friends and I are taking a trip to Italy next June. Several of us are 2nd & 3rd generation Italians and would like to see the towns that our Grandparents were born in, etc. My grandfather left Italy at age 7, so we have little documentation regarding dates and places. However, my Grandfather's sister has told me that their family came from Casaviere, a town in the Lazio region outside of Rome in the mountains. I haven't been able to find it on a map anywhere. Help!

Old Oct 13th, 1997, 07:23 AM
Tom

I could not locate this on the Europe Road Atlas I have. You'll need to locate an Italian road map I believe.

Old Nov 25th, 1997, 01:38 PM
Chris

I believe the place you are looking for is called Casalvieri. I have a friend who goes there every year to visit family.

Old Nov 25th, 1997, 05:43 PM
Gino Giannetti

Your are definitely looking for Casalvieri. It is located south of Rome (about 50 miles)in an area called the Ciociaria. (The Ciociaria name comes from the sandals with ties around the ankles that the Romans wore. Casalvieri is located approx 10 miles north of Roccasecca and east of Arpino. This entire area has a very historical past. It is near the Monte Cassino Monestary famous for its WWII battles. Another great place to visit there is Alatri. Ciccero was also born in this area. You will need a car if you want to explore the area. One of the largest towns near these areas and very convenient to them is Ceprano. It is located on the A2 Autostrada at the Ceprano exit going to Naples about 15miles south of Frosinone. A good place to stay there(I've stayed there twice) is the Hotel Aida. Rates for a double with bath is about $75. Ask for a back room away from Autostrada traffic. They have a terrific resturant with excellent food. My parents were born close to Casalvieri in a town called Fontana Liri as was Marcello Mastrianni. There is also regular train service to Ceprano from Rome, but after that you would need wheels. If you want any other info send me an email. Have a great time --it's a great place to visit if your interested in Roman history.

Old Nov 25th, 1997, 05:48 PM
Gino Giannetti

Your are definitely looking for Casalvieri. It is located south of Rome (about 50 miles)in an area called the Ciociaria. (The Ciociaria name comes from the sandals with ties around the ankles that the Romans wore. Casalvieri is located approx 10 miles north of Roccasecca and east of Arpino. This entire area has a very historical past. It is near the Monte Cassino Monestary famous for its WWII battles. Another great place to visit there is Alatri. Ciccero was also born in this area. You will need a car if you want to explore the area. One of the largest towns near these areas and very convenient to them is Ceprano. It is located on the A2 Autostrada at the Ceprano exit going to Naples about 15miles south of Frosinone. A good place to stay there(I've stayed there twice) is the Hotel Aida. Rates for a double with bath is about $75. Ask for a back room away from Autostrada traffic. They have a terrific resturant with excellent food. My parents were born close to Casalvieri in a town called Fontana Liri as was Marcello Mastrianni. There is also regular train service to Ceprano from Rome, but after that you would need wheels. If you want any other info send me an email. Have a great time --it's a great place to visit if your interested in Roman history. There are websites on the area look up www.fr.flashnet.it/ciociaria/m_cio2.htm

Old Nov 25th, 1997, 06:04 PM
Gino Giannetti

You are definitely looking for Casalvieri. It is located South of Rome in an area called the Ciociaria(named after the sandals with ties around the ankles worn by the Romans). It is located approx 10 miles north of Roccasecca and east of Arpino and approx 50 miles south of Rome on A2. The monestrary of Monte Cassino (famous for WWII battle) is also nearby. Another place to visit is Alatri. There is lots of history here. The largest town near these areas is Ceprano which has an exit off of A2 Autostrada. There is a good hotel there called the Hotel Aida. Their rates are good and the food is great. (I've stayed there twice) My parents were born nearby in a town called Fontana Lire, as was Marcello Mastrianni. You will need wheels to get there even thou there is regular train service from Rome to Ceprano. This is a great place to visit if you like historical spots. You can even go visit the town Ciccero was born. Have a great time. If you want more info. you can email me. A web site listing the towns of Ciociaria is www.fr.flashnet.it/ciociaria/m_cio2.htm