Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for best transportation from Venice to Amalfi/Capri and for day trip to Pompeii/Herculaneum

Looking for best transportation from Venice to Amalfi/Capri and for day trip to Pompeii/Herculaneum

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:33 PM
ellen

We're spending ten days in Venice and Amalfi/Capri. Looking for best transportation from Venice to Amalfi/Capri; don't want to spend all our time lost, waiting for departure, or locating luggage. What do you recommend, train, plane, bus, rental car?

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Maurice

Train.<BR>Having taken second class overnight when it was so crowded all we got was smoking car, I would suggest first class, w/ reservations made a day or two in advance. <BR>Hey - a hotel is gonna cost ya $200 or so; plus, there's still the cost of travelling Venice to Naples. Splurge and go first class.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:59 AM
ellen

Thank you so much for the first response that gave me an opinion and information I sought. Before your response, all I got was grammer corrections, requests for more descriptive inquiries, and requests to condense my messages. Thanks again.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:44 AM
dorrie

I took a plane from Naples to Venice in May. I booked thru Europe by air. You can get a flight for $99. For us the timing was perfect-we had a 8:45 pm flight-so we did not waste a day.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Myer

There's a sleeper that leave Venice around midnight and arrive in Naples about 9AM.<BR><BR>Just be careful to check if the sleeper car leaves Venice Santa Lucia or Mestre. There could be a problem with the Mestre departure leaving after midnight and sleeper tickets being for the night before. That happened to me.<BR><BR>As said above, view it as a hotel room.<BR>