Looking for best car tour company of paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm travelling with my older parents to paris in Aprill and they cannot do alot of walking so , We were thinking of doing a guided tour of Paris in a mini van or car, If researched some companies that do this sort of thing and am unsure who is the best or most economical, can any one help me or suggest any?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:22 AM

I suppose there are private drivers out there you could hire, but it doesn't sound very practical to me - they would have to use the regular traffic lanes on Paris streets, and it could be very slow going. Traffic in Paris is pretty intense.

I'd just do the Open Tour bus (there are other companies as well), as those buses can use the bus lanes and maneuver through traffic faster. You can get on and off as you like and there's commentary.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:50 AM

The most economical is to buy a RATP transport pass and print out this map:

<b>http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...aux&amp;fm=pdf
</b>

The most scenic routes are the 42, 69, and 73. The <b>Balabus</b> is also good (it has an audio commentary), but it only runs on Sundays and holidays from April to September. I personally don't think much of the idea of shelling out $30 to ride l'Open Tour about two miles.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Check to see whether the buses can accommodate people who have trouble climbing up steep steps.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Check with Hertz and Avis; they offer cars with drivers. Also, ask your hotel for a recommendation.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:47 PM

A. If you ask Hertz or Avis, what are the chances they will be able to supply a driver who speaks a language you understand and knows the architectural history of the city?

2. If you ask your hotel, what guarantee is there that they won't assign their half-wit brother-in-law?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree w/ StCirq. Any decent private guide/car will be awfully expensive. Just take the le Open Tour bus. Unless they are totally disabled and cannot walk at all, the tour buses will be fine. They can sit downstairs if they can't climb upstairs - though the views are better on the open air top deck. You do not say they are immobile or in wheel chairs. If they can walk enough to enter the hotel or walk into a restaurant - they can walk enough to take l'OpenTour

The 3 tour routes cover all of the sites in Paris and the routes intersect so one doesn't even have to walk from one to another.

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 01:17 PM

I would also think one of the open bus tours might be sufficient, because you don't have to get off if you don't want. In other words, you can just sit in it and look at the views, even going around the city twice if you wish. There are a couple, I have heard mainly of Les Cars Rouges and Open Tour. I think one has more stops, but you can compare the routes and fees on their website. It isn't bad if you use it a lot as the fare can cover two days. If the weather were nice, that might be enjoyable in the open air.

I don't know about other private drivers, although I'm sure there are some. I know both Cityrama and Parisvision do a good job with group tours, some in the city, and I think they have some smaller vans, so think either would be okay if you found what you wanted from them. There are a few other agencies I've heard of that have some kind of tours, but I don't know much about them. If you have researched some and are considering them, why don't you name who they are if you are trying to decide? Maybe someone will have experience.

I'm sorry, but I vehemently disagree with Robespierre that a good idea is for them to take a tour themself around Paris on public buses. They don't have complete routes geared to tourist sites like Open Tour, etc (and will have limited sites from any one line), and they can often be terribly crowded, especially at certain times of day. Yes, it's probably the cheapest thing to do, I will agree with that. I've seen very sad situations of elderly folks trying to get on those buses up the steep stairs. I think this is a terrible idea.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM

I've done a couple of the Parisvision tours. They are a private service, but we happened to be the only passengers both times we used them. I booked them through the hotel we were staying at. I was with some &quot;older&quot; people and this was easier on them than the metro or bus. We had a van that sat 6 but our party of 4 were the only ones. There were several iteneraries to choose from and we just picked a couple. They also had some tours that went out of town for a half day (ex. Giverny). I don't recall the price, but it didn't seem outrageous and there may even have been a &quot;buy one get one free&quot; coupon in the brochure at the hotel. Have fun!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Well, instead of telling you how expensive it is ...and therefore you shouldn't do it... if you CAN do it, I went to the pagesjaunes.com and put in chauffeur. http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi

On that list Kristall Services International (fax 01 47 23 55 40) looked interesting.

And a gentleman by the name of Martin Didier.

Surely there tourism private drivers that could take you and your parents to tour that beautiful city in comfort!!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM

To do the entire Open Tour, you have to get on four buses.

I'll bet you a roast chicken I can find four connecting public buses that transit exactly the same sites.

Deal?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Kinsey

In the Rick Steve's Paris 2006 guidebook, the author recommends mapping out a route and then hiring a taxi to take you to all the sights on your route and even stop at a few for pictures. A route is mapped out in the book, but if you don't like that route it should be easy enough to map out your own.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM

Those of you who scoff at the need for ease of sightseeing must not ever had had a problem with getting on and off buses of whatever kind. If you have a stiff knee or arthritis or a bad shoulder, that isn't easy. Please don't be so mean about it.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:26 PM
lawchick

Why don't you hire a driver for the day and then bring this guy Michael Osman with you?

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM

=D&gt;
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM

lawchick,

I think you've found the ideal solution.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
lawchick

Thanks! I do try....and I know I am trying.

I think my solution IS a good one. This Osman chappie sounds good and cheap...and a driver can't be too expensive for the day - or if it is - just get taxis - they are not too expensive in Paris.

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Seems to me I read recently of a company that offers automobile tours of Paris...in a vintage Citroen 2CV, classic little French car. &quot;Quatre Roues sous un Parapluie&quot; I think they call the company. Seems like kind of a cute idea. I know nothing of what it costs, but I seem to recall a website...I'm sure that you can google it.

Tell you, though...I'm a 2CV owner myself, and four people in one of those tiny cars will be pretty snug.