Looking for best area to stay in Paris for 10 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2010, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Paris next month. I will be on my own for 5 days then my husband will be joining me for the last five days. We plan to rent an apartment so we can get a taste of what it is like to live in Paris.

We want to stay somewhere that is quiet at night and safe for me to be wandering around on my own at night. It also needs to be in an area with a good food market. I am looking at the 1 -7th arrondissements as I want to be able to walk or take a bus, and wish to avoid the metro.

We are perhaps not "typical" tourists as we don't intend to visit the Tour Eiffel, Notre Dame or Louvre. We will be spending time at the Moyen Age/ Cluny museum, Les Invalides, the Petit Palais and Grand Palais, and exploring historical Paris, looking primarily at art and architecture. We are not planning on dining out, prefering to cook ourselves so shopping where the locals shop for food, fish, meat, game, etc is important to us. We are not interested in nightlife or shopping (apart from fresh food & cooking needs).

I have read through everything on these forums but the wealth of tips is overwhelming me.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 07:24 PM

At this late date, your best bet is probably to consider contacting the most-mentioned and recommended agencies, those that can advise all properties available for your dates with one inquiry. Otherwise, shopping for and booking an apartment can be a very time consuming endeavor. Especially convenient are properties where you are mailed the keys.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 08:59 PM

In December, Paris is cold, often rainy, and it gets dark very early. I suggest that you look for an apartment close to your food market of choice, because you won't want to be toting those goodies long distances to get home.

You might be interested to read this to help decide which market you'd like to be near

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...d-markets.html

and I also suggest that you post on Chowhound to ask about markets.

I'm less pessimistic than djkbooks about you having a range of choices at this late date for December, unless you are going during Christmas. (Try using Tripadvisor, so you can read reviews.) I've never been mailed the keys to a Parisian apartment, but I've never had any difficulty meeting up with the owner and getting in. All that said, no harm in contacting the famous agencies (although some specialize in just one arrondissement).

In terms of location, your instinct to stay in one of the first seven arrondissements is the right one. All the sights you name as your targets are, in fact, near the other sights you say you aren't interested in seeing, so when you read apartment reviews or ads, if they say they are close to the Notre Dame or Tour Eiffel, then they are close to Musee Cluny or des Invalides and the Palais.

I'm not exactly sure why you want to avoid the metro, but while I always prefer to be able to walk to most of my destinations in Paris, when it gets cold and rainy, I use the metro to get me where I want to go quickly. The buses are enjoyable, but standing in the cold waiting for them or getting stuck in traffic isn't. I would pick an apartment convenient to a metro stop.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 09:15 PM

My advice: Stay in the 7th. Don't miss the Eiffel Tower; see it day and night, it's beautiful. Use the Metro.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 01:51 AM

Just back from a great stay in the Marais. We usually have stayed in the 5th or 6th but now I am a right bank convert. Our apt was on 6 bus lines right outside the front door, the metro a half block away and a taxi stand. It was across the street from 2 boulangeries, 2 wine shops, a verger and a fromagerie.Place to Vosges is a short walk away and Sq St Catherine right aropund the corner. It had a washer and dryer but I prefer to use th e laundomat next door because it is a lot faster.

Vacation in Paris #201 Also had a lovely private courtyard.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 08:21 AM

Parisperfect, for sure.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 08:25 AM

I would recommend the 6th if possible. Very close to many of the things you want to see with great boutiques and cafes, to hang out and people watch! Feels more Parisian and is convenient to so many great things to do. Rue Buci has a great market in the 6th, Rue Cler in the 7th has some great shops to pick up your food in, as well.
Enjoy your stay.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 08:28 AM

VRBO is another good site.

I'd use Metro, buses are fine, but at rush hour... What are your concerns?
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 12:45 PM

Sanderae:
Take a look at the fith arrondissement,Quartier Latin;apartments are not so expensive as in the sixth or seventh; plus you will be near Musee Cluny;Arenes de Lutece, rue Monge,La Sorbonne,Institute du Monde Arabe,and the market at Rue Mouffetard.Enjoy your trip!!!