Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for authentic Birtish Pubs in London's Kensington area and also the theater district?

Search

Looking for authentic Birtish Pubs in London's Kensington area and also the theater district?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Andy

Please help- want to take the kids to a local pub with good food at resasonable prices--ages 16,20,21----<BR><BR>Would love one with tons of British Atmosphere....<BR><BR>Many thanks

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 03:32 PM
x

The Albert at Buckingham Gate allows kids and serves an ok dinner.<BR>Beauchamp Place has a great pub that serves a good lunch. They have rooms for kids.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 03:57 PM
sorry

Good pub food nowadays is not an option!<BR><BR>In S.Ken..the best REAL food is Abbaye Belgian on Old Brompton Rd or the Angelsey, a true local..everywhere else is pre-packed micro meals. The Hereford on Glouster Rd might give children a treat but you'll be burping grease for a few days!<BR><BR>There are so many wonderful inexpensive places ,, why are people fascinated by pubs...which really no longer exsist in the major cities except in our outdated minds!

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Lora

We ate at The Albert while on a day tour. If you're referring to the food downstairs, it's akin to TV dinner quality in my opinion. Nothing special at all. Plus the atmosphere is ok only. We had to share a table and there are stools to sit on only-no chairs. There is a formal restaurant upstairs however, but it comes at a higher price.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 04:15 PM
xxx

I'm not much of a food snob, but I've always wondered also why people rave about food in British pubs. Most pub food is on a par with a high school cafeteria in the US. They make and often freeze big batches of food and then sit it on steamtables or under heat lamps for hours. Fish and chips in most pubs is a pre-purchased frozen product, cooked in overused grease. Invariably the "chips" in pubs are the world's worst. If only you could take your own from a nearby MacDonald's they would be far more tasty.<BR><BR>Of course, there are a few pubs with good food, but they are a new breed -- more of a restaurant that is designed to look and feel like a pub with new age cooking. The Cow comes to mind. I wouldn't go out of my way to look for a pub as a place to eat.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 04:30 PM
sorry

They are called gastro-pubs and about 1 step higher.......still barf making!

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Ben Haines

To the e-mail copy of this message I am attaching a note I keep on disc on lunches and some suppers in London pubs. I am afraid none are in Kensington, probably because I seldom go there. The pubs I list have chefs: I dislike micro-wave meals. I agree that most cook fish and chips badly: you need a pub with a deep fat fryer, which few possess. They also serve boiled potatoes as well as chips, and with suitable meals serve rice or pasta. I am interested to learn that I have an outdated mind: sorry about this.<BR><BR>I agree that the Albert serves good food, downstairs. The do have chairs as well as stools, but you have to search for them. <BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>