Looking for apt/hotel for 7-10 days in Hampstead,England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never been to London but have friends who just moved there and I was looking for a reasonable, clean apt/hotel in the Hampstead area. I don't even know where Hampstead is but we wanted to be close to them for the visit. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 07:52 AM

Hampstead is a very smart neighbourhood in the north of London. It isn't really tourist central, except for day visitors, so hotels are a little thin on the ground, but it would be a lovely place to stay. Both of these small hotels/B&Bs are very central in the village:

lagaffe.co.uk
hampsteadguesthouse.com

I can't vouch for the quality of either.

I'm sure someone here can recommend some good holiday letting websites for London, but before you book anything do check back with the fodorites here as, with Hampstead being such a desirable area, agents have a habit of stretching their definition of what counts as Hampstead, and we wouldn't want you ending up in some hell hole neighbourhood next door.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 08:04 AM

I lived in Hampstead for almost two years, and loved it. Not so hard to get to tourist attractions, as the Northern Line (admittedly not the most reliable) goes right there.

It's a great place to walk around, either in the village of Hampstead, or on Hampstead Heath.

Both of Kate's recommendations are well located, although obviously lagaffe is much more professional than the guest house, who are still working on their web site.

You should probably check with your friends where exactly they are, to avoid the real estate stretch of where Hampstead really is.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 08:12 AM

Carlux makes a good point – ask your friends for their postcode, then you wil be able to pinpoint their location precisely.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Yes, real estate agents in London play fast and loose with location descriptions, especially with desirable neighbourhoods like Hampstead. They also use expressions like "Hampstead Borders" whic means "nowhere near Hampstead"

Postcodes in Hampstead proper start "NW3"

There is a Premier Inn at Belsize Park:

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/L...ead?CMP=KNC_Gb

I think Premier Inns are fairly basic and without much character but clean and friendly and reasonably priced.

Hampstead village is a short walk (albeit a pretty steep one)

Belsize Park also has lots of nice cafes, restaurants, coffee shops etc.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
We do need to know what you consider "reasonable".

Plus the actual location.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. My friends reside at Thurlow Rd. NW3 5PJ if that helps. I was hoping to keep the cost per night under $200 - is that possible?
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 03:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That is definitely IN Hampstead. Near both the tube and rail stations.

The Hampstead GuestHouse Kate linked is VERY close to your friends. You couldn't get any closer w/o moving w/ them

If you don't find anything in Hampstead, you could stay anywhere along the Northern line and be convenient to their place.