Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for apartment for 5 or 6 nights in paris - need rec. for agency and neighborhood

Looking for apartment for 5 or 6 nights in paris - need rec. for agency and neighborhood

Old May 27th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi to all - I am engaged in last minute planning for a trip to Europe in July. First 5 nights will be in Montreux, then 5 or 6 nights in Paris. I would like to try an apartment in Paris. I am looking for recommendations for reputable agencies, particular apartments if you have stayed in one you liked, best neighborhoods. We will be 3 people (if my husband comes), and my price point is around $150-$175 per night. We like to walk, and are comfortable with learning the metro. We do not want to be in an outlying suburb. My preference would be for something with a local neighborhood kind of vibe, with lots of small shops, patiseriees, reasonable restaurants, markets. I've seen recommendations for staying in the Latin Quarter - should we focus on that (what arr. is that?). I have an apartment offered by vacationinparis.com, #146, that is in the 1st arr. Is that a good location?

Thanks to all for your help. And please don't knock my lack of knowledge about the city - this trip is so last minute - so unexpected - that I have not had time to do much research yet.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Oh - I forgot one thing - it appears that most of the apartments are not air conditioned. Should we insist on a place with a/c? And if this is an issue for us - what about the reasonably priced hotels (are there any?) - are they air conditioned?
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:17 AM

I recommend you take a look at Paris Address (www.parisaddress.com). I found they were easy to deal with and had excellent rates and apartment choices.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:15 AM

But first I'd recommend you look at
a map and familiarize yourself with
Paris arrondisements... this will make
your selection of an apartment much
simpler...

Rob
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Last time we were in Paris (06) we stayed at Hotel Andrea Rivoli in the Marais district. However, as a reasonably priced hotel WITH AC, it is likely that it is booked for July (although you may need to check for your specific dates).

You'll want to concentrate at first, on Arr. with single digits (1-9) although I've friends who have enjoyed places in the 11th, 13th and 17th. But if it is your first time, you will want to be in the more central part of the city, where you can walk just about anywhere, and take short rides on the metro or bus.

Old May 27th, 2008, 10:45 AM

While we have not used this lady and her service people we know have and were very happy with the flats.

http://www.apartment-in-france.com/
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM

You can pull up my recent vacationinparis.com... apartment rental trip report. Just type my name in the Search box and it'll be easy to get to. Happy Travels!
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Butnotrmpt:

I've been to Paris twice and each time I rented an apartment from Marie at www.paris-be-a-part-of-it.com.

The entire one bedroom was 600.00USD for 7 days (that was back in 2005). It was situated two blocks from Pont Neuf in the 6th district (St. Germaine Du Pres). I was in walking distance to the Seine, Notre Dame, The Louvre, Muse D'Orsay and the Latin Quarter and too many other sites to name!

In 2006, I rented an apartment again from Marie, and I had several people with me, so the cost was about 900.00USD for accommodations for 5 and we split the bill. We were situated in the Marais district (4th), one block from the metro stop.

I found Marie after going through a rough patch with a VRBO agent in Paris. I have trusted her completely with my arrangements when I needed her and she has yet to let me down.
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:35 AM

We stayed in this apartment in July 2006. No air conditioning, but you really don't need it - when we were there the heat in Paris was fierce, but the apartment was cool, perhaps because of the terrace. http://www.vrbo.com/30651
It appears to be available in July. Read the comments - it's a really nice neighbourhood, lots of restaurants, and within very easy reach of all the tourist areas.
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:35 AM

thanks for posting this question. i was wondering the same thing...

Old May 28th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Les

Take a look at this site. It should help you decide where you want to stay.

www.parisnet.net/parismap.html
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:08 AM

We used Historic Rentals and found a great apartment in the 14th. I loved staying in the 14th. There were no tourists, and we enjoyed a very authentic parisian experience. Right outside the door to the courtyard of the apartment building there were boulangeries, pattiseries, flower shops, wine stores, small cafes and bistros. We were less than a block from the metro stop at Pernety so we were only minutes from anyplace we wanted to visit in the city. It was lovely.
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:13 AM

There's a very nice apartment close to the Arc de Triomphe. Close to the Metro, so easy to get around. Try www.parisapartment.iowners.net
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:40 AM

We also used vacationinparis for our stay in April. We were in the 6th arr.
The apartment; 'le Procope' was small and might be a little tight for 3 adults but both the bed and the sofa bed were very comfortable.

There was an ac unit and a fan but we didn't need either as it was cool. The windows are large and open wide for cross breezes too.

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_182.htm
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 05:46 PM

Last May we stayed in that apartment close to Luxembourg Garden. It was perfect!

http://www.vrbo.com/143492
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM

We just got back from 3 weeks in France, including a week in Paris. We stayed at a 2-BR apartment (with another couple) in the 1er at Palais Royal - very convenient, lovely furnishings, decent price, and a great agency - Paris Vacation Apartments - here's the website to the apartment we were in - but PVA has others in the same "complex" (Richelieu's originally) as well as some in Montmartre.

http://tinyurl.com/27w82h

Sam
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Hello Highflyer,

We have booked the Procope apartment with vacationinparis.com over Christmas break. If you would be so kind, tell me everything about the apartment(!). It is small but the price is right, and it's for us and our two kids. The location looks awesome, and if we had a hotel the room would be that size, we wouldn't have a separate (if small) bedroom, and we'd pay twice as much.

Anyway, fill me in on the rest of the apartment. Thanks.