Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Looking for accommodation in Edinburgh, anybody know Grassmarket Central Apartments or something good?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/looking-for-accommodation-in-edinburgh-anybody-know-grassmarket-central-apartments-or-something-good-751276/)

debstajm Dec 1st, 2007 11:02 PM

Looking for accommodation in Edinburgh, anybody know Grassmarket Central Apartments or something good??

Back yet again. Would anybody know anything about the above apartment.
Was 367 pounds for 3 days now 200.25 pounds for the dates I am after and with free parking. Seems to be a nice little place. Or should I keep looking? We were going go B&B but not sure seeing the price on some of these places. We were going to stay out of the city due to the car and originally were looking at Portobello. What do you think??

thanks Deb

sheila Dec 2nd, 2007 01:04 AM

I don't know the apartments. The price is good. The location is very central but might be noisy on a weekend night

meks Dec 2nd, 2007 10:41 AM

The Grassmarket is in a very central location, vibrant and frequently noisy especially at weekends. I think the advertisers refer to the area as lively. It is a very popular area with students / tourists / visitors and locals as there are quite a few late night bars, restaurants and clubs.

Parking in the Grassmarket can be a big problem especially over the coming months when the City council intend commencing with large scale works to pedestrianise a large section on the north side of the Grassmarket. The Council and the local newspapers have indicated that this will cause disruptions but not sure when the works are actually scheduled. If there is free parking then go for it as it will be at a premium there during the summer. Like any city cars are not always secure so just ensure that it is free and in a safe area
Portobello is quite far out of the city centre and you will ultimately spend more time waiting for buses /traveling back and forward than you will visiting the attractions etc.
The area around Edinburgh Castle has a number of other self catering properties which get good reviews but
the price indicated for the Grassmarket is almost half everywhere else and at that price for June it is probably worth it. Also self catering is probably cheaper than B & Bs especially as there are numerous restaurants, bars serving food and take aways nearby as this will give you plenty of choice if you decide to dine out.

debstajm Dec 2nd, 2007 10:47 PM

Thanks for your response sounds alright. There is probably a catch but we'll see.

Deb

meks Dec 3rd, 2007 03:43 AM

Deb,

I was down in the Grassmarket yesterday and again today. The work has started in the Grassmarket and will be continuing for quite some time as it is an extensive programme they are undertaking.
From the castle views shown on the apartment website I would think that the apartment is in Websters Land, West Port and it does have its own parking areas below the building. Access is tricky, as it is up some tight / narrow lanes, off King Stables Road, which are not well lit at night.
The West Port is continually busy with traffic and noise especially during the day. At night the traffic quietens down as the Cowgate - opposite end of the Grassmarket is closed to cars due to the number of late night clubs / bars operating there. However there is a lot of noise from people coming and going from the bars etc- a lot of Stag and Hen parties.

The location is quite good for the city centre attractions - there are two long flights of stairs which lead from the Grassmarket to Johnston Terrace / Edinburgh Castle. Victoria Street as the opposite end of the Grassmarket has a wide variety of shops including an excellent cheese shop. If you are staying in that area over the weekend then keep the Saturday morning Farmers Market in Castle Terrace in mind. Excellent variety of fresh foodstuffs.

If the offer price is correct and available, then for the few days you intend staying the noise etc should not be too much of a problem. If the price returns to the original price then you can always look around at other self catering apartments around the Castle as they may be more favourable.

debstajm Dec 3rd, 2007 08:27 PM

Hi Mek's
the apartment is in Edmondstones Close. But I am not getting any response when I e mail (Festival Apartments) Very disappointing.
Not sure what to do now.

Thank you anyway

Deb

meks Dec 4th, 2007 01:36 AM

Deb,

I think Edmonstone Close is one of the tight lanes in and around Websters Land, West Port.
Your not getting a reply from Festival Apartments may be beneficial as there are a number of disconcerting reports / reviews about that company frequently letting visitors down by double booking, advertising five star apartments and then providing one / two star alternatives for accommodation which had already been paid for. Their service would also appear to leave a lot to be desired when it comes to resolving problems. Have a look at one of the reports which brought this to light but there are numerous on these apparent problems with that company. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._Scotland.html

It may be the case that you would be better reverting to your initial plan of staying out of the city centre but be prepared to spend at least and hour travelling to and from the city centre by the time you take into consideration the time spent going for / waiting on a bus and then travelling into the likes of Princes Street which is the hub of the bus transit services, thereafter making your way to the likes of Edinburgh Castle / Royal Mile / Old and New Towns. You then have the same returning to your accommodation at anytime.
There are a few good accommodation providers with excellent reviews in the city centre with parking, but they appear to be a lot more expensive than the prices you have been quoted.

alanRow Dec 4th, 2007 02:22 AM

Edmonstone Close is off West Bow - ie the other end of the Grassmarket from West Port.

According to other websites (do a search for Edmonstone Close) it's part of the old Traverse Theatre

meks Dec 4th, 2007 05:05 AM

Alan,
Thank you for the information and you are correct Edmonstones Close is the Old Traverse Theatre at the opposite end of the Grassmarket from the West Port, however the pictures of the Castle from the Grassmarket Central Apartment are not from that area. They are taken below and just to the right of Edinburgh Castles' Half Moon battery which means that they have to be taken from between the middle of the Grassmarket and the West Port - very strange.

Deb

If you are going for the offer check the address as the pictures I have seen do not appear to tie up with the address you have obtained. If it is in Edmonstones Close check that there is free parking as I do not think cars are now allowed in that lane.

GreenDragon Dec 4th, 2007 05:30 AM

I've rented an apartment in that area, on West Bow, for next June - I'll let you know how it is, but that will likely be too late for you on this trip :) It looks wonderful!

http://www.aboutscotland.com/edin/westbow.html

debstajm Dec 5th, 2007 11:24 PM

I'm glad I posted a question on this place. Appreciate the responses and has helped to look in some good locations. The site greendragon gave me was great. Let you know what happens as it may help others! thanks Deb

alanRow Dec 6th, 2007 03:12 AM

The apartments are accessed by a narrow alleyway next to the Barnado's shop (vintage clothing?) at the east end of the Grassmarket.

From the looks of it the only views you'll get are of the very small courtyard as the buildings of West Bow itself will block out any view

caroline_edinburgh Dec 6th, 2007 03:26 AM

Debs, I don't know these apartments either I'm afraid - but what are you actually wanting, apart from parking ? Would you prefer a hotel, B&B or apartment ? Is £200 for 3 nights your budget - for 2 people ? Do I gather you are coming in June ? I think you should be able to get a modest hotel or B&B, with parking, for £70pn, without having to go as far away as Portobello - I wouldn't want to stay there.

opus Dec 6th, 2007 07:31 AM

We have always enjoyed staying in a small flat in Webster's Land--and have found it easily accessible to all sites--as it is just a walk up the steps to the Royal Mile. The flat we usually let is at http://www.travel-library.com/apartm...et_studio.html
at 43 pounds per day. It is owned by two artists who take excellent care of it and has a view out the back of the castle. It's small but cosy--and fun.

Webster's Land is gated housing--and a city car park is easily accessed just up the hill.

debstajm Dec 6th, 2007 05:28 PM

Hi Caroline

Our budget was originally based on b&b at around 80 pounds. But we have along the way booked apartments for around 75 pounds and that thought was where we could, get an apartment as it would be more pratical as we are staying 3 days in the one place. Thought we might get away with getting an apartment in Edinburgh with parking but I think we are kidding ourselves. We originally looked at b&b's for the whole of our trip because we thought it would be a cheaper option. So bottom line, we think apartments would be more practical but not necessary. And yes being in the city would be better but because we were told Joppa was only 15 min away by bus that is why were looking there. So I am open to options. Yes we are going in June. Any ideas would be welcome.

I see Opus has given us another idea which I will look at. I am getting tired of looking though but my husband has never been overseas and I amd trying (maybe too hard) to make sure he has a great time.

Just a brief story, my sister inlaw booked a holiday unit in Tasmania which I looked at and thought fantastic. But when we got there, it took 40 mins to get up a 2k track, solar power (which had to be topped up with a battery as it was overcast) trying not to knock off the roo's and wombats, 1 1/2 from now where (beautiful now where thoguh Houn Valley) no tv.The name of the mountain was Mount Misery!. We were in s much trouble from our other halves. They did say it was all nature but did not clarify natural.
3 days we were there. But you cannot get it right all the time and that is part of a holiday.

thanks all Deb

caroline_edinburgh Dec 7th, 2007 03:34 AM

The only way you could get from Joppa or Portobello to the centre of Edinburgh in 15 minutes would be in a fast car in the middle of the night when there's no traffic, with the lights in your favour. By bus during the daytime it would take more like 40 minutes. Also I find that area quite depressing - if you want to visit Edinburgh, surely you want to stay *in* Edinburgh rather than in a slightly rundown seaside town several miles away ?

You should have quite a good choice of hotels at £80pn for a double since you are booking well ahead - phone the Apex hotels in the Grassmarket and the Point Hotel and try asking what deal they could offer you for 3 nights. Also try www.superbreak.com - I've got the Sheraton for £80prpn from there. Otherwise you could cetainly get a room at one of the budget chain hotels like Premier Travel Inn or Holiday Inn Express, most of which can offer parking at a reasonable price or in some cases free. A posh B&B in the New Town will usually be more like £100pn for 2 but there are plenty just 1-2 miles outside the centre on good bus routes - look in the Tollcross/Bruntsfield area or on West Coates/Roseburn Terrace/Corstorphine Road/St John's Road/Glasgow Road (all the same road, in ascending order of distance out) or Newington Road/Minto Street/Mayfield Gardens/Craigmillar Park (ditto).

Or - have you tried Apartment By Castle or the Castle View Guest House, which many here rave about ? The CVGH was up for sale last year, either as a business or as a private home : I didn't hear the outcome but from its website it looks as though it's still trading.

Alternatively - where will you be before & after Edinburgh ? Could you arrange your itinerary so you dump the car when you get to Edinburgh or only pick it up when you leave ? Or leave it somewhere outside the city ? I'm assuming you are not planning to use it while you are here.

hanl Dec 7th, 2007 04:44 AM

For a budget of £80 per night, I can strongly recommend a B&B in Stockbridge called 6 Mary's Place. http://www.sixmarysplace.co.uk

Though I haven't stayed there myself, a number of friends of stayed there when they came to Edinburgh for our wedding and they were all absolutely delighted. Not too far from the centre of town (a not too strenuous uphill walk or short bus-ride). Lots of little shops, cafés and restaurants in the vicinity - overall a very nice neighbourhood indeed.

caroline_edinburgh Dec 7th, 2007 04:59 AM

I agree Stockbridge would be a very nice area to stay.

debstajm Dec 7th, 2007 12:30 PM

Thank you. We need the car Caroline as we are staying in Alnwick for 2 days, York for 2 days and then onto Windsor for 2 days but dropping the car off at Heathrow while we are there as we will be leaving for oz.

We will be needing the car for 1 day while in Edinburgh for a day trip but will be just getting around locally.

I did not realise Portobello was so far and we sure do want to stay a bit closer. I will follow up the advise you have given me and have mailed 6 Mary's place. So I will see how we go.

thanks again
Deb

ccrosner Dec 8th, 2007 01:54 AM

Deb--
Don't tire of looking for the right place yet. You have time and lots of options and you are right that it will help make your trip a success.

We were in Edinburgh in August and were very limited in our choices as I didn't book until early June and their were four of us. We stayed on Ferry Road at Ravensdown Guest House which was quite nice although not luxurious. It was a 10 minute double decker bus ride to the center of Edinburgh and there was easy parking. I found the website Scotlandby.com to be very helpful in selecting accommodations.

Enjoy!