Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Looking for a website for airfare US to Europe that will find me the best fare to anywhere in Europe for my dates (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/looking-for-a-website-for-airfare-us-to-europe-that-will-find-me-the-best-fare-to-anywhere-in-europe-for-my-dates-681912/)

julies Feb 21st, 2007 07:44 PM

Looking for a website for airfare US to Europe that will find me the best fare to anywhere in Europe for my dates

Is there such a thing where I can just do one initial search without having to plug in infinite varieties of different destination cities? We want to know if there is a website where we can just plug in our US departure city and our dates. The site will then show us the cheapest places to fly into with available seats on those dates. The main goal here is to get across the Atlantic and then use the discount European carriers.

Weadles Feb 21st, 2007 08:01 PM

Try Farecompare.com

Cruiseline Feb 21st, 2007 08:08 PM

I just booked with United, after surfing sites and rates for weeks. I tried at least 15 sites and always found that they were compatible. But this week United had a San Francisco to London for $605 roundtrip in May and June.

I too looked for a "single source" but never did find one. And note that some of the sites out there are cagey in their advertisements: read carefully.

djkbooks Feb 21st, 2007 08:20 PM

No, there is not.

And, it is not necessarily, if ever, more economical to get yourself to anywhere in Europe then fly elsewhere on "discount European carriers", on which the baggage restrictions are positively ridiculous.

Also, connections from home to wherever you're going can be inconvenient and full of contingencies.

WillTravel Feb 21st, 2007 09:53 PM

Learn how to use ITASoftware.com - this is not perfect, but it can often spot very good airfares with mass searches.

Whether the baggage restrictions on low-cost carriers are ridiculous is more a matter of style - they haven't bothered me at all. I agree there's great potential for costly disaster in terms of making the connections to and from the flights, and this is something that has to be carefully considered.

Gardyloo Feb 21st, 2007 10:25 PM

Learning the ITN routing syntax is a little tiresome but works the best, given that you can put a range of up to 300 miles radius around airports, thus putting in your home town as origin, then say, LON;PAR;AMS;ZRH;MXP;MAD;FCO;CPH;BRU;FRA as the destinations + 300 miles means you've got pretty much the whole continent bracketed.

In point of fact, though, the cheapest prices will almost always be via Dublin, London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Madrid, Brussels or (maybe) Paris.

Gardyloo Feb 21st, 2007 10:26 PM

Sorry - typo - <b>ITA</b> routing syntax.

WillTravel Feb 21st, 2007 10:50 PM

Cologne and Glasgow have also shown up as low-price contenders.

You can load up ITASoftware syntax with a lot of cities, and I always do that as a first rough sweep of fares, but the database seems unable to find the absolute best prices if you do this. I think it has to do with the exponential increase in combinations as more possibilities are added vs. the database limitations, so I always do single-city searches too, once I identify likely low-price airports.

julies Feb 22nd, 2007 05:31 AM

Thanks much. Bottom line is the answer is no.

I know about, and often use, ITA and Farecompare. I have never thought about putting the 300 mile limited in on ITA though and will give that a try.

I was just hoping to find a way to get around all of the hour and hours of time I typically put in to looking for a good fare. I know that caution needs to be taken when thinking the low cost European carriers will be a best bet. But, for times when the ultimate destination is ridiculously expensive, sometimes this strategy will work. And, sometimes the European destination airport will be one that I would never have though of.

Last summer we wanted to got to Lithuania &amp; ticket prices were sky high. We found tickets from the US to Dusseldorf (a place I would never have even known had an international airpport) at a very, very good rate. Then we used a budget carrier from there. Saved us around $400 a person and also gave us a nice little side trip to Germany.