Looking for a third city to add to a 10-12 day trip to Venice and Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a secod trip to Italy this time by train. We have never been to Venice but were in Florence four year ago and fell in love with the city. Thought including one more stop would be a good idea. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM
cd

Have you been to Rome and the Vatican? If not, that is the one I would suggest!
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Innumerable possibilities depending on the number of days you ahve and your particular interests. For example . . .

If you love food—Bologna
If you love wine and/or Roman antiquities—Verona
If you love mosaics—Ravenna

What are your interests?
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

We've been to Rome, driven through chianti (didn't want to leave)loved the CT. Hill towns, antiquities,beautiful countryside and good food. We love Italy!! Are all of these towns connected by train? We won't have a lot of luggage but we are looking for ease of travel.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Bologna with a side trip to Ravennna.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...14503405/show/
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 01:45 PM

The ones I mentioned are connected by train. Ravenna can be done as a day trip from Bologna. Since both Bologna and Verona are cities where a few different train lines intersect, both are good options as a place to stay and day trip by train to other places.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM

How about the Italian lakes? You could fly into Venice, take the train to Florence, then continue on by train to Lake Como, and fly home from Milan. Google images of the Italian lakes. Nestled into the base of the Alps and studded with villages and villas, they're beautiful. More for relaxing than museums and antiquities. A good way to end a trip.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Is Padua out of the question? Would you fly in and out of Venice? I realize that my questions may seem disjointed but I am at the very beginning of my planning and have much to still figure out. Thank you so much for your replies.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mimar- We have been thinking of Lake Como. We have spent time in the English Lake district and were in heaven. if it was up to my husband we would be going back to England for the fifth Time!!! Would we be ok doing all this by train. I'm a little uneasy about not having a car!
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 02:17 PM

We did Lake Como via train from Venice several years ago and the train was very easy. We took a car service to MXP, but only because our flight was so early and it was just easier to do coordination that early in the morning. So definitely another good option and sounds like a good way to make your husband extra happy with the trip.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 02:28 PM

Have you considered Mantova? (Also known as Mantua.)

It has got lakes, marvelous food, an antique core, astounding art that and good train connections to other places.

http://goitaly.about.com/od/moreital.../p/montova.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantua

Padova is certainly not out of the question -- it is only 20 minutes from Venice -- but for a person who fell in love with Florence, if Mantova doesn't grab you, then you might aconsider Parma, which is not only a much better place for food than Bologna, it would also allow you to visit into Modena by train, and even such hilltown gems as Pontremoli. Parma is simply a beautiful town.

Another marvelous choice would be Arezzo, from which you could visit Cortona by train but also take a bus to a charming untouristed but incredibly atmospheric town like Lucignano. If you suddenly yearned for a car, you could rent one there.

The lakes are of course lovely too, Lago di Como in particular, and while the train trip requires switches, it is not too bad. Just pack light. However, once you are there, it is very hard to get any place else other than other lakeside towns.

It would be easier to help you if we knew what time of year this trip will occur. It usually avoids backtracking to fly into one city and out of a different one.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

How would you split your days? How many days in Venice, Florence, Lake Como? We have 10-12 days. Thank you so much for your responses.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 02:37 PM

bookmarking
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Sorry- I should have mentioned that we are planning beginning to mid April of next year.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Based on your time frame, I would put the lakes last--as late as possible in April to experience the best weather and catch the azaleas and rhododendrons in bloom.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 04:56 PM

Since you asked, for me Lago di Como is a day trip for lunch from Milan on a guaranteed nice day or some other place you want for a "base", especially in spring when it is not comfortable to sit outdoors for lengthy periods of time. If you like to vigorously hike, visit elaborate gardens, see azeleas, or plan to book a luxurious hotel room, overnighting or more in Lago di Como in mid-April might be great for you. Some other people might be a tad bored for the lack of great Italian cultural attractions. And if it rains buckets for 3 days, which it can in mid-April.....best if you enjoy rainy weather! There is nothing to do indoors.

If you are not hikers or gardeners, and are not ideologically committed to the notion that "slow travel" makes you a superior person, most of what is memroable about Lago di Como can be savored in an afternoon.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 05:59 PM
JBX

Next year Easter falls on April 8, 2012. Unless you DO want to be in Italy around holy week, then plan accordingly. Depending on your itinerary (Rome, for one) can be harder to book cheaper accomadations around the Palm Sunday thru Easter time frame.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:32 PM

<<< most of what is memorable about Lago di Como can be savored in an afternoon. >>>

We found that too when we visited. The scenery is lovely, and we spent two nights at Como. We took the cable railway up the hill, a hydrofoil trip up the lake, and returned by bus, which was fun. However, after those things, we found Como to be a bit "thin" by way of attractions. However, we are not really "beautiful scenery" people.

Next time, we'd make it a day trip from Milan. It's about an hour on the train, I recollect.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 07:36 AM

Como town is not the best place to experience Lake Como. We prefer to stay mid-lake, at Bellagio or Varenna or Menaggio or thereabouts. We take the little ferries (walk on) and visit the other towns and the lovely villas and gardens around this area. Plus there are opportunities to hike. For a taste of Switzerland you can take the 1-hour bus trip from Menaggio to Lugano on Lake Lugano.

But admittedly this is a destination for people who enjoy very beautiful scenery and slower-paced activities.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Again- thank you for all of your replies. I've been rethinking our plan. We really want this trip to be relaxing and unrushed. Do you think that limiting ourselves to just Venice and Florence with day trips from each city is a better idea? If yes are there any suggestions for outings accessable by easy train rides?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -